The Town of Westerly position of Principal Planner within the Planning Office. Under the general direction of the Town Planner, Principal Planner is responsible for performing a variety of administrative functions in the Planning Office, assisting in short and long-term municipal planning activities, supporting the Town Planner and various Boards and Commissions, and taking an active role in various initiatives undertaken by the Planning, Zoning and Building Offices.
- Bachelor’s degree in government, community planning, public administration, urban studies, environmental science, or related field preferred & Minimum of three (3) years of experience in planning and zoning, community, or land use development.
- Master’s degree in government, community planning, public administration, urban studies, environmental science, or related field preferred & eager to work in the public sector.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform the essential job functions of this position.
- Continued interest in professional development and personal advancement required.
The Principal Planner position requires technical competency, good communication skills, and the ability to both follow instructions and take initiative. This position allows for continued professional advancement in all aspects of Planning and Zoning. Full Job Description and Instructions.
- Provides staff assistance and technical support to the Planning Board and Town Planner by reviewing development plan and subdivision applications, processing applications, coordinating reviews with other departments, and conducting periodic site inspections to ensure compliance with approved subdivision and development plans. Meets with and responds to the inquiries of the general public on planning, zoning, and related matters.
- Works on routine planning and zoning issues and will collaborate on planning policy amendments to the zoning ordinance, development regulations or comprehensive plan in response to a variety of complex planning and land-use issues.
- Technical support includes updating the Planning Office website, GIS mapping, preparing public presentations, scheduling/coordinating meetings. Latest Projects in Westerly.