The American Planning Association Massachusetts Chapter (APA-MA) is an official Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA). We are a 1,100-plus member organization of professional planners and planning officials who serve Massachusetts communities in many ways, at all levels of government, the private sector and not-for-profit organizations.
The mission of the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Planning Association is to enhance and support planning in Massachusetts through education, advocacy, outreach, communication, and provision of services & resources to members and the larger planning community, in a manner that maximizes diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Learn more about The American Planning Association Massachusetts Chapter (APA-MA).
2023 Annual Awards! /Massachusetts Planning Fall 2023! Planners' Movie & Meetup!
APA-MA Annual Awards
It's time again to recognize and celebrate recent planning success stories and those who make a difference in the planning profession! Please join us for the 2023 APA-MA Annual Awards! Celebrate the holiday season and honor innovative planning projects and professionals across Massachusetts.
Awards will be presented on Friday, December 8th, 12:00 pm at the Colonial Inn, Concord, MA. Please be sure to register by 5:00 pm Thursday, November 30, 2023. This event always sells out so register early! Walk-ins are discouraged.
Hope to see you there!
Planners' Movie & Meetup!
The Planners' Movie and Meet-up series continues with a screening of William H. Whyte's classic documentary "The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces"! Made as part of a research effort spearheaded by The Street Life Project in conjunction with the Municipal Art Society of New York, this seminal work explores the successes and failures of public spaces in New York City.
Probably one of the most well-regarded films about urban planning, its focus is essentially on human nature. But by looking closely at how human nature interacts with and responds to the built environment, the film shows how city planners and designers can encourage and allow the creation of spaces people will want to use.
Whyte had contributed to the city’s comprehensive plan in 1969 and became interested in how the city governed public space usage as a result. Through the film and an accompanying book, Whyte and his team chose a variety of public spaces like plazas, streetscapes, playgrounds, even entire neighborhoods like Harlem, and set about observing and recording how and why people use them.
The event includes an hour dedicated to networking, followed by the film and a discussion facilitated by David Gamble. Mr. Gamble is the Founding Principal of Gamble Associates, a Lecturer in Urban Design at MIT as well as the author of "Idea City - How to make Boston More Livable, Equitable, and Resilient". His research and writing probe the catalytic effects of contemporary urban design and planning projects with a focus on creative implementation strategies to enable redevelopment. This is one event you do not want to miss! Space is limited!
When: Thursday December 14, 2023
5:30 pm: Networking, appetizers, cash bar
6:30 pm: Showtime
Where: Capitol Theatre, 204 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA.
Admission: Free for APA-MA, CPM & MAPD members, and students. Otherwise, $10
Sponsored by: MA Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA-MA), Consulting Planners of MA (CPM) and MA Association of Planning Directors (MAPD)
- APA-MA has a volunteer opportunity to serve on the APA-MA Board of Directors: Greater Boston Regional Representative. Learn more about these positions by reviewing the …Read More »
- Here’s the Fall 2023 Issue of Massachusetts Planning! We hope you enjoy this issue and find the articles interesting, informative and useful. As always, your …Read More »
- APA’s Call for Volunteers is now live. Interested in volunteering for an APA committee or task force? Invest in the profession, connect with other professionals, and …Read More »
- On October 26, 2023, the APA-MA Transportation Committee organized a tour of Cambridge Crossing (CX), a development adjacent to the new Lechmere Station on the …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who attended a presentation on the planning and development of Polar Park to learn about its economic benefits and opportunities for the continued redevelopment …Read More »
Thank You for being a Sponsor!
- Watertown is growing its planning team in the Department of Community Development and Planning. The team includes Planners working on current planning programs, transportation, housing, environmental protection, and arts/culture. The City of Watertown is seeking to fill a key role in this team, a Senior Planner for Open Space. The …Read More »
- Bowman has an opportunity for a Planner III to join our team. The position is flexible to be based out of our Boston, MA, Taunton, MA, Westfield, MA or Lincoln, RI office. At Bowman, we believe in creating opportunities for aspiring people to thrive and achieve ambitious goals. That’s why …Read More »
- Bowman has an opportunity for a Planner II to join our team. The position is flexible to be based out of our Boston, MA, Taunton, MA, Westfield, MA or Lincoln, RI office. At Bowman, we believe in creating opportunities for aspiring people to thrive and achieve ambitious goals. That’s why …Read More »
- Job Title: Planning Technician Town of Coventry Department of Planning and Development Wages: $50,000 plus excellent benefits Statement of Duties: Exciting opportunity for entry-level planner with an ability to learn on the job and grow as a planning professional. Position involves administrative support to the Coventry Department of Planning & …Read More »
- The Town of Belmont is now accepting applications for the full-time position of: STAFF PLANNER Office of Planning and Building Annual Salary $80,061.76 Under the general direction of the Director of Planning & Building, the Staff Planner performs a variety of technical and professional work in the current and long-range …Read More »
- The Town of Maynard has been awarded an MVP 2.0 Grant and is seeking proposals from qualified vendors to assist the town with a social-equity centered approach to addressing climate change. The full RFP document and details can be found on the Town of Maynard website: https://www.townofmaynard-ma.gov/Bids.aspx You can find more …Read More »
- We are looking to hire an Transportation Planner 2 for Environmental Compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) in Newington, CT. This recruitment is accepting applications through 12/5/23 at 11:59 p.m. You can find more information and apply directly via the job posting.Read More »
- The Southeast Regional Planning & Economic Development District is looking for a Senior Comprehensive Planner. The position works under the supervision of the Comprehensive Planning Manager, with potential tasks also to be completed for the Transportation Planning Manager, the Environmental Planning Manager, and other Departmental Directors. The Senior Comprehensive Planner …Read More »
- Rate $18.41 per hour ABOUT THE ROLE: This Green Building Zoning Intern position is within the Division of Zoning and Development (Z&D) of CDD. The Zoning and Development (Z&D) Division of CDD is responsible for work in the areas of land use planning and urban development, including reviewing major development projects by the Planning Board …Read More »
- The Cumberland Planning Department seeks a full-time Town Planner. The salary for this 35 hour per week position is $55,000 with excellent benefits. There is an opportunity for salary review after six months. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The Town Planner plays an integral role in the operations of the Planning Department …Read More »
- The Town of Harwich seeks proposals from qualified vendors to provide the Town with an inventory of Historic Property. Homes and buildings were inventoried on the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System Form B for architectural analysis, however the Historical Narrative was not completed. We are looking for proposals for this …Read More »
- The Town of Upton has received $30,000 in grant funds from the Massachusetts Community Planning Grant. The grant funds were approved to provide the Town professional services for an Inclusionary Zoning Market Feasibility Study and technical assistance pursuant to the requirements of the MBTA Communities MGL Chapter 40A Section 3A …Read More »
To see more jobs click here