The American Planning Association Massachusetts Chapter (APA-MA) is an official Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA). We are a 1,100-plus member organization of professional planners and planning officials who serve Massachusetts communities in many ways, at all levels of government, the private sector and not-for-profit organizations.
The mission of the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Planning Association is to enhance and support planning in Massachusetts through education, advocacy, outreach, communication, and provision of services & resources to members and the larger planning community, in a manner that maximizes diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Learn more about The American Planning Association Massachusetts Chapter (APA-MA).
Massachusetts Planning Winter 2023 & 2022 Annual Award Winners!
The Winter 2023 issue of Massachusetts Planning is here! Click here to download!
Thanks to all who attended the 2022 APA-MA Annual Awards & Holiday Luncheon held at the New Bedford Whaling Museum on December 9th. By all accounts it was a big success! Please join us in congratulating this year’s award winners:
Elected Officials Governor Charlie Baker & Lt Governor Karyn Polito
Citizen Planner Jesse Geller, Chair Brookline ZBA
Emerging Planner Rowen McCallister, Town of Shrewsbury
Professional Planner Wayne Feiden, FAICP, City of Northampton (retired)
Community of the Year City of Salem
Comprehensive Plan Town of Palmer Comprehensive Plan
Planning Project PVPC “Moving Beyond the Pandemic”
Student Award University of Massachusetts, Boston “Cool Roxbury”
Sustainability Town of Deerfield “Deerfield Healthy Soils”
Transportation Town of Arlington “The Minuteman Bikeway”
Civic Leadership* Emmy Hahn, MA Downtown Initiative, EOHED
To view a power point presentation of the awards please follow this link:
Thank you again for making this year’s Awards such a success and we hope to see you next year at the 2023 Annual Awards!!
*Awarded by the Consulting Planners of Massachusetts
- Thanks to everyone who participated in the APA-MA Sustainable Development Committee Fall Speaker Series – Part III: Density, Sustainability, and MBTA Communities Zoning: A Conversation with …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who participated in the APA-MA Sustainable Development Committee Fall Speaker Series – Part II: to Apple Country Natural Climate Solutions: A Regional Collaboration …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who joined us for the APA-MA Sustainable Development Committee Fall Speaker Series – Part I: Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness Planning and Action: A …Read More »
- Congratulations to Ralph Willmer, FAICP, who will serve as the new AICP Ethics Officer following the retirement of Jim Peters. The AICP Ethics Officer plays …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who joined us on July 20th for the APA-MA Transportation Committee and the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization/CTPS event “Measuring and Managing …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who joined us on July 27th, for the APA MA Economic Development Committee webinar with municipal finance leaders Joe Minicozzi and Shayne Kavanaugh, who discussed us how land use …Read More »
APA-MA Virtual Lunch N’ Learn – DesegregateCT: Vision, analysis, and action on inclusive housing for all communities – Recording!Thanks to everyone who joined us for this important conversation! DesegregateCT is a pro-homes coalition of neighbors and nonprofits advocating for more equitable, affordable, and environmentally-sustainable …Read More »
- Thanks to everyone who joined us live for the APA-MA Housing & Community Development Committee’s first four “Lunchtime Conversation” meetings! These conversations have been well …Read More »
- APA-MA has volunteer opportunities to serve on the APA-MA Board of Directors: Northeast and Cape & Islands Regional Representatives. Learn more about these positions by …Read More »
Thank You for being a Sponsor!
- The Town of Hudson Department of Planning and Community Development is seeking qualified consultants to assist in the updating of the municipal Downtown Parking Study. Copies of the Request for Proposals will be available January 30, 2023 by email to Kristina Johnson, Director of Planning and Community Development at email@example.com …Read More »
- The Northern Middlesex Council of Governments (NMCOG), a regional planning agency based in Lowell, MA, seeks candidates for the position of Senior Housing and Land Use Planner. The ideal candidate has a passion for housing and will perform a wide variety of technical planning tasks necessary to primarily advance the …Read More »
- Department: Planning Board Salary Grade: F Reports To: Planning Board/Town Manager FLSA Status: Exempt Summary of Position: Under the policy direction of the Planning Board and the general administrative oversight of the Town Manager, the Town Planner shall perform work at both technical and professional levels to assist the Planning …Read More »
- POSITION SUMMARY As a function of the City’s strategic housing plan, the housing coordinator will assist with various facets of housing and community preservation through planning and coordinating directives related to housing enhancement, preservation, and creation. The purpose of this position is to perform responsible professional and administrative work in …Read More »
- The Lower Connecticut River Valley Council of Governments (RiverCOG) is seeking a clear headed, self-directed planning professional. RiverCOG has diverse responsibilities including: land use planning, transportation planning, land conservation, economic development, and emergency planning. RiverCOG is currently seeking candidates to support two agency programs: RiverCOG is the host agency of …Read More »
- https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mapc/jobs/3881905/assistant-director-of-transportation?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs Salary $100,000.00 – $110,000.00 Annually Location Boston, MA Job Type Full Time Description The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) seeks an Assistant Director of Transportation who will support the Transportation Director in overseeing the Department. The Assistant Director will work on a variety of planning activities and policies to advance sustainable mobility, smart growth, and transportation equity in Greater Boston. The Assistant Director will report to the Transportation Director and will help manage department staff and …Read More »
- Transportation Planner 2 (40 Hour) Transit Contract Management Recruitment #221205-8876FE-001 Location – Newington, CT Date Opened – 1/21/2023 12:00:00 AM Salary – $83,326 – $119,928/year Job Type – Open to the Public Close Date – 2/3/2023 11:59:00 PM The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is seeking qualified candidates …Read More »
- The Town of Westborough Planning Board seeks candidates for the position of Town Planner to perform highly-skilled administrative, supervisory and technical work in the monitoring, development and implementation of short-, intermediate-, and long-term planning initiatives in accordance with policies set by the Planning Board, Town bylaws and state laws. This …Read More »
- The Town of Hopedale is accepting applications for a full-time Land Use Planner. See job description at www.hopedale-ma.gov for position responsibilities. Starting salary $65,000-$75,000. Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until February 22 or until position is filled. The Town of Hopedale is an AA/EOE. Read More »
- Senior Planner or Planner for Transportation with Berkshire Regional Planning Commission focusing on Regional Transportation Plan, the Transportation Improvement Program, the Unified Planning Work Program, electric vehicle acquisition and charging station development. $49,894 – $68,805.Read More »
- The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals, for the position of Transportation Supervising Planner, in a newly formed Policy Unit, within the Office of Policy & Intergovernmental Affairs. This position is being created within the Bureau of Policy & Planning. The focus of this unit is to ensure federal …Read More »
- https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Campus-Planner_R111290 Position Type: Staff Location: Boston Main Campus About the Opportunity Job Summary: The Campus Planner will join the University as it continues a more-than- decade-long trajectory of unprecedented growth in student enrollment, faculty, staff, and physical space along with tremendous advances in academic and research rankings. The mission of …Read More »
To see more jobs click here