The Cumberland Planning Department seeks a full-time Town Planner. The salary for this 35 hour per week position is $55,000 with excellent benefits. There is an opportunity for salary review after six months.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Town Planner plays an integral role in the operations of the Planning Department under the direction of the Director and provides a wide range of development and land use planning activities. The Town Planner supports projects related to land use planning, research and data analysis, plan drafting and design, ordinance drafting, site evaluation, public engagement, and community and economic development. As such, candidates with a background in local or regional planning, community development, public policy, economic development, urban planning and design, and landscape architecture are encouraged to apply.
A typical day includes reviewing land development and subdivision applications, conducting site visits, preparing staff reports, managing current grants and preparing grant applications, responding to public inquiries, and conducting research and analysis to advance the long-term goals of the Town. The Town Planner attends monthly, evening Planning Board meetings and will staff the Historic District Commission.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated to work independently and will thrive on advancing a wide variety of projects as part of a small planning team. The position requires excellent communication skills to respond to the public, applicants, and state agencies in a timely and professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with the planning team, applicants, and other professionals in a service-oriented environment
- Clear and cogent writing skills in a range of writing formats, including narrative reports, summary memoranda, and technical ordinance drafting
- Ability to conduct sound research and data analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of planning principles and ability to interpret site plans
- Ability to prioritize work for multiple deadlines and willingness to learn technical subject matter as needed
- Grant writing and grant administration, including CDBG projects
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or desire to learn GIS is preferred
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Planning, Urban Studies, Landscape Architecture, or related field with previous planning experience is preferred.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter with two writing, project or presentation samples to email@example.com. Applications will be open until the position has been filled.
Link to job posting: www.cumberlandri.org/townplannerjob