The City of Worcester, MA is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Chief Planner within the Office of Economic Development’s Planning & Regulatory Services Division. The Chief Planner assists in the management and administration of the Division of Planning & Regulatory Services (DPRS) and has specific responsibility for administration of DPRS’s boards and commissions (Conservation Commission, Historical Commission, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals), related professional and technical assistance, and customer service. The core responsibilities include managing project applications and assignments, coordinating meetings, and conducting development review. The Chief Planner additionally assists in developing and implementing long range plans and polices related to planning, development, and zoning – including involving land use, zoning, urban design, and comprehensive planning. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, professional setting where they will meaningfully contribute to the development of the City of Worcester. Attendance at evening meetings is required, typically 2 or 3 meetings per month.
- Bachelor’s Degree in city or regional planning, public administration, geography, civil engineering, architecture, or other related field.
- Four (4) years of experience in land use planning or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree in city or regional planning, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, geography or other related discipline may be substituted for 1 year of experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master’s Degree in city or regional planning, public administration, geography, civil engineering, architecture, or other related field.
- Three (3) years of experience reviewing development plans (site plans, parking plans, etc.).
- Two (2) years of experience providing administrative and technical support to municipal boards or commissions.
- One (1) year of project or program management experience.
- Prior experience working in a municipal setting.
- AICP and/or other applicable certifications.
SALARY RANGE: $78,434 – $103,104 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2023, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.