The City of Worcester is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Senior Planner within its Division of Planning & Regulatory Services for the Executive Office of Economic Development. The Senior Planner is primarily responsible for providing professional and technical assistance to the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). The position responsibilities include managing project applications, coordinating board meetings, conducting development review, preparing meeting minutes, and issuing decisions. The Senior Planner also supports current and long‐range planning activities involving subjects such as land use, zoning, urban design, and comprehensive planning. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to work in a fast‐paced, collaborative, professional setting where they will meaningfully contribute to the development of the City of Worcester. Attendance at evening meetings is required, typically 2 or 3 meetings per month.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of city/urban planning and a demonstrated ability to apply them in a work setting
- Knowledge of zoning, subdivision control, and other laws and ordinances relevant to community development and planning
- Knowledge of and the ability to use ArcGIS
- Knowledge of and the ability to use municipal permitting and file‐sharing software
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Self‐starter who can work well both independently and in team environments
- Excellent customer service (working with the public) skills
- Skilled at reviewing development plans (site plans, parking plans, subdivision plans, )
- Proficiency with personal computers, including but not limited to the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, and GIS mapping and conducting data analysis
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations, organizations, and interests
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with diverse populations, organizations, and interests
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously with frequent interruptions and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments
- Bachelor’s Degree in city or regional planning, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, geography, or other related discipline PLUS three (3) years of professional experience in planning, development review, or a directly related field; OR, A Master’s Degree in city or regional planning, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, geography or other related discipline PLUS one (1) year of professional experience in planning, development review, or a directly related field will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned
- Proficient with computers, including proficiency in Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with use of GIS mapping
- Two (2) years of experience providing professional support to and/or serving on a Planning Board and/or Zoning Board of Appeals.
- One (1) year with experience review of development plans (site plans, parking plans, ).
- One (1) year experience applying planning principles and techniques in a work
- One (1) year Customer Service experience (working with the public).
- One (1) year experience working in a municipal
SALARY RANGE: $70,545 ‐ $92,209 annually, full‐time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2023, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508‐799‐1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.