This position involves administrative planning and zoning functions for the Department of Planning & Development. Responsibilities involve review of major and minor subdivisions, development plan review projects, overview of special projects, and development of Comprehensive Community Plan Update. Other tasks may include assistance in writing federal and State grant applications and associated administrative work.
Functions include responding to zoning and planning inquiries in person and over the telephone. Successful applicant must be capable of communicating with difficult or upset members of the public in a cordial, helpful manner. Notwithstanding the issue or complaint, the customer will be treated in a respectful, courteous and helpful manner.
Successful applicant will possess
- Knowledge of planning & zoning law and practices;
- Understanding of land use concepts; subdivisions, natural resources, and alternative energy applications;
- Ability to timely meet deadlines;
- Familiarity with functions of R.I. Department of Environmental Management; requirements of R.I. Department of Transportation;
- Successful applicant is expected to attend scheduled evening meetings.
- Applicant should have computer skills in PowerPoint preparation and presentation, G.I.S. user-interface, and Microsoft Windows & office suite.
- The successful applicant must be able to prepare and write staff memorandum for Zoning Board of Review and for the Planning Commission.
A bachelor’s degree and/or experience in land use, natural resources, planning, and land management is required.
Applicant is required to possess a valid R.I. driver’s license and be capable of conducting site visits.
Salary: $62,200. The Town of Coventry, RI offers an excellent benefit package that includes Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, Delta Dental, and Life Insurance. 13.5 paid holidays, 12 hours per month sick time and vacation time.
Original job posting: https://www.coventryri.org/index.php/bids-rfp-employment/open-position-principal-planner
Send cover letter and resume to:
Town of Coventry
1670 Flat River Road
Coventry, RI 02816