The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an exciting Transportation Planner 2 position, with the Travel Demand and Air Quality Modeling Unit, to assist in employing the state’s air quality model, to better forecast the impact of vehicle miles of travel and ridership, on the state’s air quality. If you are a team player who wishes to analyze and prepare support data for executive decision makers, in developing the best programs and plans for the future of our state transportation system, this position may be for you.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023– State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Comprehensive Benefits which include industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off – including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for this opportunity, to advance the forecasting capabilities and analytical utilities of the air quality model to support the DOT’s existing programs and plans, as well as new requirements of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA). This position reports directly to a Supervising Transportation Planner or other employee of higher grade.
There is an extensive amount of preparation, maintenance, and manipulation of data files needed to produce travel estimates and air quality impacts, such as vehicle miles of travel, rail and transit ridership, rail station boarding, and pollutant emissions. The Travel Demand and Air Quality Modeling Unit also conducts scenario planning for analysis of proposed Department projects.
- Full-time, (40 hours per week), First shift
- Location: Department of Transportation Headquarters: Newington, CT (centrally located with easy access from major highways and by public transportation)
- P-4 (Engineering, Scientific and Technical) bargaining unit
- Convenience of an on-site, low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria, ample free parking
This position is eligible to apply for telework after successful completion of the working test period, and thereafter, in accordance with the Telework Policy. Employees in their initial working test period must work on site in the office.
As one of Connecticut’s largest State agencies, DOT employs approximately 3,300 individuals statewide in five distinct bureaus. It is our mission to provide a safe, efficient and accessible multimodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. We have a significant transportation infrastructure system that is essential to maintaining mobility for Connecticut residents and businesses and supporting economic and community development. The recent passage of the Infrastructure Improvement and Jobs Act (IIJA) presents exciting funding opportunities for the State of Connecticut, and this position will be crucial in aligning the Department to be successful in obtaining approvals for discretionary program funds. The Department of Transportation is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged.
Job Opening: Transportation Planner 2 – Department of Administrative Services (jobapscloud.com)