The City of Worcester seeks qualified applicants for the position of Land Use and Zoning Coordinator for Inspectional Services. The Land Use and Zoning Coordinator serves as the City’s front line for interaction with the residential and commercial development community, under the direct supervision of the Building Commissioner. This position is responsible for dealing directly with applicants and the public, preparing staff reports, reviewing site plans, applications for variances, special permits, subdivisions, planned unit developments, zone changes, and comprehensive plan amendments. Key to this role is the commenting and participation with the Interdepartmental Review Team, Planning Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge or familiarity with the parameters of municipal government.
- Thorough knowledge or familiarity of the City of Worcester Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Control Laws and Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 40, as well as a general knowledge of the Massachusetts’s State Building Code and the Department of the Interior’s standards for Historic Preservation.
- Working knowledge regarding the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Flood Insurance Program.
- Proficient skill in the operation of a personal computer and the application of office software including word processing, spread sheet, and data base management applications as well as the Internet, and web site technology.
- Ability to provide excellent Customer Service Skills.
- Effective organizational and critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to use email, internet and Microsoft Office products and other software applications required to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position
- Ability to build a team approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently and to interact effectively with a diverse audience and with disgruntled members of the public, local officials, and department personnel
- Ability to manage a wide range of complex projects, and multiple tasks in a detailed and organized manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully, both orally and in writing, with department employees, diverse community organizations, and state officials.
- Ability to prepare detailed and accurate reports.
- Ability to research, report writing, including zoning analysis and interpretation, providing technical assistance and zoning analysis for attorneys, underwriters and other professionals
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or an equivalent area of expertise.
- Five (5) years related prior work experience with a concentration in Urban Planning and Zoning Enforcement, OR
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid Massachusetts Driver License and reliable transportation
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or an equivalent area of expertise and at least three (3) years related prior work experience within Municipal Government concentrating in Urban Planning and Zoning Enforcement.
- Five (5) years related prior work experience within Municipal Government
- Previous Experience with Presentations in the Workplace
SALARY RANGE: $76,159 – $100,099 annually, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2023 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov