The purpose of this position is to prevent errors and program abuse by ensuring the Brookline Housing Authority’s (BHA) Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) is administered effectively and according to the highest ethical and legal standards. The incumbent will employ techniques to ensure errors and intentional program abuse are rare and to establish confidence and trust in the management by emphasizing quality control, audits, and analysis of data as the primary means to obtain compliance by program participants, landlords/property management agents, and BHA staff.
- Responsible for compliance and certification of the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) that allows HUD to measure BHA’s performance in key areas to ensure program integrity and accountability.
- Perform internal quality control verification methods by selecting an unbiased sample to provide an adequate representation of the types of information to be assessed, in accordance with SEMAP requirements.
- Perform, on an annual basis, a random selection “quality control sample” of files in which method of Selection from the Waiting Lists, Reasonable Rent, Determination of Adjusted Income and HQS Enforcement are reviewed for compliance in accordance with the HUD SEMAP indicator descriptions.
- Responsible for responses of HUD and DHCD periodic on-site and automated monitoring of BHA activities related to the Leased Housing and Admissions Department and notifies BHA executives of errors and potential cases of program abuse.
- Perform review of departmental monthly and annual reporting requirements, procedures; recommend and implement improvements to procedures.
- Conduct monthly quality control audits on approximately 10% of files processed by Leased Housing Managers and Occupancy Specialists.
- Analyze files selected by the Independent Auditor; ensure potential errors are promptly corrected and prepare audit consideration of remedies responses.
- Review and amend BHA audit and quality control administrative policies related to Leased Housing & Admissions in accordance with HUD/DHCD regulatory changes.
- Monitor program participants repayment receivables and enforce debts owed are repaid in the full amount in accordance with executed agreements.
- Coordinate with the Directors of Finance and Leased Housing & Admissions on HUD/DHCD occupancy reporting and occupancy data as it relates to annual subsidy calculations.
- Accountable for the submission of PIC, VMS, SEMAP, and other state and federal reports.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration, accounting, or related field and five (5) years of experience in public and/or assisted housing, including a minimum of three (3) years in an accounting or auditing capacity.
Strong computer, auditing, accounting, and analytical skills (MS Word, Excel, and Outlook) required. Experience with PHA-Web housing software a plus.
Full job description available at www.brooklinehousing.org. Submit a cover letter detailing your qualifications along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or letters.
The BHA offers a competitive salary and strong benefits package, including state GIC health insurance and a defined-benefit pension.
The BHA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action, Section 3 employer. Females, LGBTQ individuals, minorities, veterans, Section 3 qualifying individuals, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.