The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals, for the position of Transportation Supervising Planner, in a newly formed Policy Unit, within the Office of Policy & Intergovernmental Affairs. This position is being created within the Bureau of Policy & Planning. The focus of this unit is to ensure federal planning requirements are met, and the Department is staying abreast of upcoming federal policy changes.
Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Paid time off – including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees.
The Transportation Supervising Planner role will supervise a newly formed Policy Unit, that will track and lead the review, analysis, and comment on federal actions, including, but not limited to; federal laws, legislations, regulations, Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), Notices of Requests for Information or Comments on federal policy, policy changes, guidance, and pilot programs. This unit will also track and ensure timely fulfillment of federal planning requirements and act as the lead in the development, review, and periodic updating of Department Policies. The Policy Unit will be responsible for:
- Responding to Congressional requests
- Covering Congressional hearings
- Preparing materials for Congressional visits
- Providing educational briefings to Congressional members and staff
- Coordinating agency submittals for yearly Appropriations Committee Community Project Funding/Congressionally Directed Spending (earmarks) project requests
- Feedback on legislative amendments
- Proactive engagement with Connecticut’s Congressional delegation
- Performs related duties as required
The unit will interact with U.S. DOT and other federal agencies and participate in regional and national organizations such as the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), Northeast Association of State Transportation Officials (NASTO), The Eastern Transportation Coalition (ETC), ITS America, American Public Transportation Association (APTA), and many others.
- Full-time, 40 hours per week, First shift
- P-4 (Engineering and Scientific) bargaining unit
- Location: 2800 Berlin Tpke, Newington, CT
As one of Connecticut’s largest State agencies, DOT employs approximately 3,300 individuals statewide in five distinct bureaus. It is our mission to provide a safe, accessible, and efficient multimodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. We have a significant transportation infrastructure system that is essential to maintaining mobility for Connecticut residents and businesses and supporting economic and community development while preserving the State’s resources. DOT is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged.