BSC uses design, engineering, science, and technology to Build, Support, and Connect with our co-workers and communities. We recognize different passions and perspectives, and strive to inspire and empower each other to create meaningful change. As a trusted advisor and neighbor, our team is personally invested in every action we take. We remain focused on diversity, sustainability, and social accountability in the services we provide to our clients.
A successful team member must:
- Enjoy a challenge! Internal debates keep us learning and growing.
- Be passionate about seeking, sharing, and applying new knowledge and skills to improve individual, team, and company performance.
- Be committed to continuous upskilling and lifelong learning (seeking opportunities to work outside your comfort zone).
- Maintain a high standard for being ethical, respectful, and fair with your BSC team, clients, and communities.
- Have the courage and strength to show character. Bring your whole self to work!
Are you a problem solver? Do you like to connect with people and have meaningful conversations about the planning process? Are you passionate about helping communities look at challenges in the built environment and find creative yet realistic solutions? Are you searching for an opportunity that allows you to work collaboratively on projects that foster more livable, vibrant, and resilient communities?
BSC Group is dedicated to engaging the community, sparking creativity, shaping the future, and achieving results. Our planning practice is seeking an energetic and highly motivated Senior Planner to support a wide array of projects, including land use/zoning, urban revitalization, community and master planning, climate change/resiliency, transportation, and permitting support. Work collaboratively with our multidisciplinary team of planners, designers, engineers, and scientists on the design, presentation, documentation, and production of various urban revitalization, planning, and zoning projects. This is a full-time position. BSC offers a flexible hybrid work option.
- Manage various planning projects, primarily public sector, overseeing the budget, team, scope, design, presentation, documentation, and production of various urban revitalization, planning, and zoning projects.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, generate, and present planning, land use, zoning, and urban design ideas.
- Conduct research and draft reports, and maps for planning and permitting documents.
- Coordinate directly with staff, clients, and subconsultants
- Engage the community by preparing presentation materials, attending client and community meetings, conducting public outreach, and facilitating community engagement.
- Assist in the guidance, delegation, and supervision of junior planning staff.
- Contribute, as needed, to project proposals and interviews.
- Provide internal technical support to BSC’s multidisciplinary team of project managers, as needed.
- Write at both a technical level and a strategic level for program updates, planning reports, PowerPoint presentations, and funding applications.
- Experience: 5-8 years minimum in the field of planning; public sector experience preferred.
- Excellent technical writing, organizational, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment with staff from different disciplines and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of organizations, processes, policies, and regulations associated with public sector planning and development.
- A bachelor’s degree in land use planning, community planning, urban planning, regional planning, geography, or a closely related field with minimum of five years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
- Must have a valid Massachusetts Driver’s license.
- A quick wit, attention to detail, and passion for enhancing the communities we live in
- A desire to grow in the profession, dedication to excellence, and commitment to clients
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required; Experience with Adobe, Bluebeam, and ArcGIS is preferred.
We understand each BSC team member is unique, as are definitions of work-life balance. Some of our team members are 100% remote and some enjoy an office environment. However, the majority of BSC’s workforce embraces a hybrid model, which allows people to work from home, job sites, and other remote locations, as well as any of our office locations when necessary. While Senior Planners may be required to travel to offices or client meetings on occasion, this position can be filled from anywhere in the New England area.
BSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to diverse representation on our teams, in our services, and all layers of leadership. We’re focused on identifying and dismantling barriers that lead to a more diverse workforce including working diligently to expose underrepresented groups to engineering, science, and design through STEM programs, education and outreach, and industry involvement. We continue to strive to maximize benefits to the communities we impact through diversity and inclusion in strategy and design.
All responses and submissions are completely confidential.
No telephone calls, no recruiters, please.
About BSC Group
BSC Group is a leader in providing integrated planning and engineering solutions to public and private sector clients for land development, transportation, and energy projects throughout New England. Founded in 1965, the firm offers the services of more than 170 professionals operating from six offices in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
Our consulting staff represents the best talents in planning, engineering, regulatory permitting and ecological science, landscape architecture, land surveying, and spatial information systems. We truly believe our greatest strength lies in our collaborative approach to projects, involving all members of our multidisciplinary staff as necessary, leading to better and more creative solutions throughout the life of the project. We also encourage the involvement of our clients in every step of the process, resulting in high quality planning and design that is technologically and environmentally sound, economically feasible, and aesthetically pleasing.