The Director of Community Development has a broad range of strategic, analytical, administrative, and project management duties. The Director plans, organizes, manages, and provides administrative direction and oversight for the activities of the City’s Community Development Department. This position requires managing, planning, organizing, and administering the department in a sophisticated and unique environment.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of the specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related to, or a logical assignment to the position.
· Guided by adopted master plans for the City, and in cohesion with the City Council and community input, the Director will oversee and direct implementation of short-term decisions that conform with long-term strategy.
· Advises the City Manager and Council on the achievement of planning goals associated with adopted plans and provides updates or recommendations for changes in regards to existing form-based code and community plans.
· Collaboratively and cooperatively works with the City Manager, department directors, and other senior managers to analyze organization and community needs and acts in response to those needs.
· Experience in planning, urban development, urban design, public administration, and working with a nationally recognized Historic District are desirable characteristics.
· Skilled in the administration of the Historic District, with a strong understanding of the history of the City’s development pattern and how to incorporate new development within the existing historical context.
· Proficient in the administration and implementation of form-based codes, while respecting the uniqueness and historic authenticity of the City.
· Effective communicator of the City’s vision and purpose of form-based code to developers and residents to maintain a predictable and consistent review process.
· Proactively monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of Planning and Zoning policies, processes, and form-based code regulations while identifying opportunities for improvement.
· Excellent communication skills, consensus building, and tactful at handling challenging situations.
· Fosters external partnerships with local and regional organizations to further the City’s long-term planning goals within adopted master plans.
· Directs the development and administration of budgets, policies, projects, and programs of the department to deliver high-quality services effectively and efficiently to the City and the community.
· Ensures department operations conform to the local, state, and federal government regulations, and other applicable rules and policies.
The Director will have a successful and verifiable career history with proven success as a strong leader with experience in strategic planning, annexation, community development, historic preservation, and administration.
Must have demonstrated performance, as well as significant experience in developing and managing staff talent and staff optimization.
Strong understanding or experience in the implementation of cloud-based permitting software that is driven by work-flow procedures
Must have a record of building solid relationships with local and county elected officials and collaborations with diverse community stakeholders.
Show innovative leadership and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience; Master’s degree preferred) from an accredited four-year college or university and have eight or more years of progressively responsible related experience in community, strategic planning, and project management.
American Institute of Certified Planner (AICP) accreditation preferred.
Salary Range: $84,000-$132,000, based on skills and experience.
Please submit letter of interest and resume/CV to Beaufort_CED@mrbgroup.com by August 22, 2022 for consideration. Direct any questions to Heather Simmons Jones at email@example.com.