To apply: please begin an application at https://bit.ly/3KB0R5r
We are seeking an experienced Design and Visualization Specialist to serve in a Project Manager role to complement our dynamic team of planners and engineers, committed to improving communities through multimodal transportation. The Design and Visualization Specialist would be expected to grow, develop, and support visualization as a tool for analysis, exploration, and communication of transportation planning and engineering projects. The ideal candidate will understand the integration of engineering, planning, street design, and bicycle and pedestrian oriented planning. The position provides the opportunity to contribute to a wide variety of transportation projects by leading the creation of diagrams, infographics, maps, renderings, and illustrations that clearly communicate complex data, projects, and concepts.
McMahon Associates is comprised of progressive transportation planners and engineers who are passionate about making it easier, safer, more efficient, and attractive to walk, bike, and take transit, and emerging mobility options. Our projects involve elements such as Complete Streets design, Vision Zero, First/Last mile connections to transit, Transportation Demand Management, transit service planning, parking studies, pedestrian and bicycle facilities for all ages, environmental sustainability, and community planning.
The ideal candidate would have the flexibility to work out of the Boston, MA; Taunton, MA, Westfield, MA; or Lincoln, RI offices. McMahon has been named a “best firm to work for” and provides employees with financial incentives to take transit to work.
The Design and Visualization Specialist Project Manager will work on a variety of transportation projects within the Planning & Project Development team, with a focus on leading the development of visual materials. As a Project Manager, this person is responsible for planning, designing, and directing transportation projects as well as for managing all aspects of assigned projects, including budgeting, staffing, scheduling, and client management. The Design and Visualization Specialist Project Manager supervises staff, within the Planning & Project Development Group, and collaborates and manages staff on a project-by-project basis in the Roadway Design and Traffic groups within the firm.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The following are essential for this position:
- Passion for improving communities through transportation.
- Demonstrated interest in multimodal transportation planning and engineering.
- Strong graphic visualization and presentation skills, including the ability to illustrate complex information in graphic form to convey concepts and ideas.
- Experience with relevant drafting/design software, such as AutoCAD, GIS, SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and other digital tools to design and assemble graphically compelling and clear presentation of information.
- Experience with relevant online tools for data visualization and communication, such as Qualtrix or MapBox.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience working with DOT, MPOs/RPOs, County Planning agencies, transit authorities, and municipalities.
- Ability to identify problems, analyze options, and develop creative solutions.
- Knowledge and interest in transportation funding programs.
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to lead effective public outreach programs and public meetings.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including technical writing.
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing, and graphic skills, including public speaking, written reports, and presentation materials
- Strong work ethic and a desire to grow in the profession, dedication to teamwork, and commitment to clients
PROJECT MANAGEMENT PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Direct and supervise activities of engineers/specialists/planners.
- Delegate work to staff and equitably manage and maximize staff utilization and billability.
- Manage multiple projects and provide technical quality control.
- Manage the financial performance of projects including budgeting, timely billing, minimizing and avoiding project write-offs, and assuring collection of client account receivables.
- Establish project budgets and schedules; notify the client of project scope changes, and prepare estimates for additional fees.
- Prepare or direct preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, designs for project, and construction schedules.
- Supervise and monitor client relationship strategies, acting as primary client contact on assigned projects and maintaining client satisfaction.
- Development and training of staff, as well as performance management, i.e., conducting annual performance reviews, regular staff meetings, etc. Develop new business opportunities through networking, client meetings and presentations.
- Attend networking events, client meetings, presentations, and public hearings.
- Leads project meetings with staff on a regular basis, coordinates field view/site visit when appropriate.
- Perform reviews of deliverables to adhere to firm’s QA/QC Policy.
- Prepare proposals and lead business development activities under the supervision of General Manager/Office Lead/Regional Service Lead/Sr. Project Manager.
- Attend client and/or public meetings/hearings as necessary; assure that all public authority and/or DOT approvals are obtained
- Operates with a company and region-first approach, focused on employee welfare, staff development, and with a positive influence on staff morale and camaraderie.
- A Master’s degree in city/urban/regional planning, urban design, architectural design, or related field from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or university is required.
- Minimum 8+ years of experience in transportation or community planning.
Skilled in visualization techniques and practices
- Effective Verbal and Written Communication
- Ethical Practice
- Critical Thinking
- Technical Capability
- Business Acumen
This position generally supervises staff, including Senior Project Engineers/Specialists/Planners, Project Engineers/Planners, Staff Engineers/Planners, and Technicians.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
This job operates primarily in a professional office environment. This role requires frequent and prolonged use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works outside the office and may be exposed to outside weather conditions. This position may include occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
This position may risk exposure to bright/dim light, noise, fumes, odors, and traffic.
This is a full-time position. The typical work days involve 8-hour days on Monday through Friday, with work hours occurring within the 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM time frame. Some night and weekend work may be required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be required according to the needs of the business. This position requires the ability to operate a vehicle.
This company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all qualified, interested parties, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under federal, state, or local law.
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary at any time with or without notice.