The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) seeks candidates for the full-time (37.5 hours/week) position of Regional Projects Planner within the agency’s Regional Services division of its Regional Collaboration and Community Planning Department. The Planner would support the Regional Projects Coordinator on a variety of initiatives including: Regional Dialogues, a series of regional meetings dedicated to peer-to-peer learning for municipal officials; Coordinating Shared Public Health Services; Regional Procurement Projects; planning efforts spanning Building Reuse Studies and plans related to Accessibility; Assisting with the Central Region Homeland Security Advisory Council; a number of projects that support municipal capacity; and general support for other divisions within CMRPC. This position provides a chance to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and innovative environment with an opportunity for growth.
CMRPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in Worcester and Central Massachusetts. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those who live and work in the region. We work toward sound municipal management, sustainable land use, protection of natural resources, efficient and affordable transportation, a diverse housing stock, public health, public safety, economic development, an informed public, and equity and opportunity among people of all backgrounds. CMRPC’s staff includes approximately 35 full-time employees located in the Worcester Central Business District in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office. CMRPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits; a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment; and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Free parking is provided in the attached garage. For further detail on CMRPC please visit www.cmrpc.org and for more information about CMRPC’s Regional Services division, visit https://www.cmrpcregionalservices.org/.
This is an administrative and communications-oriented position in which the Planner will assist the Regional Projects Coordinator with meeting facilitation, outreach and communication, grant writing and administration, writing reports, and a variety of administrative tasks.
Specific duties will include:
- Coordinating and facilitating regional meetings on Zoom and in-person. This would include scheduling, identifying appropriate facilities, registration of attendees, notetaking and other Regional Meetings would likely include CMRPC’s Legislative Affairs Committee, Regional Planners Forums, Planning Board Forums, Town Manager/Administrator Meetings, Economic Development Committee Forums, and topical meetings on timely issues in local government.
- Support the Homeland Security Program Coordinator with meetings and grant administration.
- Communication and outreach to stakeholders via social media, websites, email, and phone.
- Assisting with regional procurement projects per MGL Ch 30b to purchase goods, services, design and construction contracts for member communities in accordance with state procurement laws
- Administrative tasks related to grant writing and administration
- Assisting with the Regional Services Program, providing guidance and support to communities looking to regionalize any aspect of local government. This includes background research, examination of existing operations, modeling and planning, grant writing, budget analysis, contract preparation, and coordinating solutions that benefit all stakeholders. Shared services projects could explore municipal services such as Public Health, Housing Services, Planning, Accounting, Animal Control, Building Inspection, EMS, Police, Fire, Assessing, Economic Development, Public Works, and others.
- Assisting with other duties as
Either a Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant work experience or a Master’s degree are preferred. Educational focus could include business administration, public administration, grant management and administration, non-profit management, public policy, sociology, economics, civics, public safety, communications or other related fields.
The successful applicant will demonstrate all or most of the following skills:
- A task-oriented work ethic and excellent attention to detail;
- A professional demeanor and a positive attitude;
- Ability to analyze and solve problems independently in a resourceful and innovative manner;
- Ability to proactively set priorities and multi-task without compromising attention to detail;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Excellent communication skills for work with municipal officials, other agencies, and the public;
- Understanding of multi-step processes and how to work within them in a team environment;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Planning, budgeting and coordination skills;
- Strong writing skills with the ability to tailor messages to specific audiences;
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Outlook, Excel, and Word; and
- Ability to develop and maintain a website, social media content, and other outreach materials.
This is a full-time position with an excellent state employee benefits package. Starting salary will range from $37,000 to $58,722 depending on qualifications and experience. This position is exempt under the guidelines of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
Letter of interest, resume, and contact information for at least 3 references should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org . This position is open until filled. Preference will be given to completed applications received before January 7, 2022. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. Candidate must be willing to adhere to all active and future public safety requirements (including mask and or vaccination mandates). CMRPC is an EOE/AA employer. CMRPC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or disability in employment or the provision of services. CMRPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.