Posting Date: DECEMBER 18, 2021 Starting Salary: 81,929.00
The City of Peekskill, located in Westchester County, is seeking a full-time Planner (Planning) Please see the attached job description for a complete list of duties and responsibilities.
Applicants must submit a Letter of Interest, City of Peekskill Application and Resume to the City of Peekskill Human Resources Department, 840 Main Street, Peekskill, NY 10566. You may also submit this material via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). Employment Applications can be obtained from the City’s website www.cityofpeekskill.com (Human Resources Department).
There are no residency requirements to participate in the application process, but preference in appointment may be given to qualified candidates that have been City of Peekskill residents for at least 30 days prior to the effective date of appointment.
The City of Peekskill is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: January 12, 2022
|CITY OF PEEKSKILL JOB DESCRIPTION|
|Planning and Development|
|Director of Planning||Civil Service Classification:||Competitive|
|Prepared by:||City of Peekskill
Department of Human Resources
Manage City Boards and implement planning and construction projects for the City of Peekskill. Research and prepare grant applications and manage grant projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee and advise the Historic and Landmarks Preservation Board and the Artist Certification Committee. Provide direction to applicants and consultants, analyze plans and conduct site visits. Prepare Staff reports and agenda. Conduct meetings, provide recommendations, and prepare minutes and approvals.
- For City sponsored planning and design projects, create Request for Proposals, review submissions, interview candidates, and make a recommendation on the preferred consultant. Prepare a draft contract and negotiate terms with chosen consultant.
Obtain data and information to facilitate consultants’ work. Review and manage consultants’ work and authorize payments. Facilitate and supervise public meetings. Participate in discussions between consultant and permitting agencies. Supervise and communicate with Project Advisory Committees. Coordinate and make presentations to the Common Council.
- Oversee preparation of bid documents and advertise bidding. Conduct site visits, answer questions, hold bid opening, review bids, prepare contracts, and obtain required bonds and insurance. Monitor construction with DPW personnel, process change orders, and evaluate progress of construction and compliance with plan. Obtain State approvals, file status reports and submit drawdown documentation for reimbursement, and closeout documentation and budget reconciliation for final payment; manage grant budget.
- GIS and FEMA floodplain mapping and website updates. Conduct planning studies and collect census and other data.
- Oversee issues related to sustainability and energy efficiency.
- Research and identify federal, state and privately funded grant opportunities; strategize how to formulate the project application and budget; determine amount and source of City’s funding match; present grant opportunity to the Common Council and request authorization to submit the grant application and commit the funding match. Research and collect the information needed to submit the grant application: Obtain letters of support, prepare narrative, maps, photographs, budget and technical information for application. If grant is awarded, negotiate contract, create scope of work, and obtain all signatures on grant contract
Oversee and manage projects and Boards and Commissions; directly supervise consultants and interns on specific projects.
(As adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department)
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and either: (a) Bachelor’s Degree and three (3) years of experience in planning, architecture, engineering, or closely allied field; or (b) Bachelor’s Degree in City, Urban or Regional Planning, Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Traffic, or similar), Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography or allied field and two (2) years of experience in planning, architecture, engineering, or closely allied field; or (b) Master’s Degree in a field stated in (a) and one (1) year of experience as stated in (a); or (c) AICP Certification through the American Institute of Certified Planners; or d) a satisfactory equivalent combination of the foregoing training and experience.
NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post secondary degree granting institution.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger or grasp, reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The physical requirements of this position also require the ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or regularly to move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not subject to substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as required by the applicable Department Head/supervisor and/or City Manager.
- This job description is intended for the internal use by the City of Peekskill and does not replace the job specification that has been adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department.
- This job description does not create a contract of employment, express or implied.