Schedule: Full-time, 32.5 hours per week, Monday through Wednesday 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Thursday 8:30 AM -7:00 PM, Friday 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM Additional morning and evening hours required
Pay Rate: $55,400.00 – $62,081.00 DOQ
Summary Statement of Duties: (Full job description available at the Human Resources Department, City Hall, 24 Lowell Street) The Business Liaison serves as the point of contact for all business recruitment and retention efforts on behalf of the City and is responsible for the coordination of all information flowing to and from businesses from City Hall. Applicants should have a strong economic development and planning background and must have education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: business, planning, economic development, finance and/or marketing. The position requires a self-motivated, energetic, well-organized project manager with superb people skills and the ability to work together with the City, businesses and residents, and external interests such as the state and federal legislative delegation and the state’s economic development agencies
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as point person for all business development efforts on behalf of the City, reporting directly to the Director of Community Development & Planning.
- Develop and maintains effective communications with local and regional boards, business community, Chamber of Commerce, Peabody Main Streets, and other outside agencies.
- Assist in targeting the City’s engagement and communications activities to employers.
- Actively promote and market the City as business friendly.
- Identify and manage grants that accomplish economic and planning goals.
- Knowledge of permitting and licensing process; demonstrated experience in planning, zoning, state economic development grant programs, as well as other available incentives and tools.
- Focus revitalization/redevelopment efforts on the City’s commercial districts, along with other specific properties or areas as deemed appropriate by the Director.
- Work with the various local organizations to preserve the historic components of commercial areas and promote consistent design with revitalization efforts.
- Serve as the City’s ombudsman.
- Work to build and maintain strong working relationships with appropriate public agencies at the local, regional, state, and federal levels. Represent the director and/or Mayor at regional and statewide meetings.
- Participates in relevant external meetings and events (i.e., Chamber, Main Street, MAPC, Mass Development, etc.) many of which take place outside of the normal business day.
- Work to promote and coordinate events and activities that involve city property.
- Ability to work with other Community Development team members to achieve department planning goals.
Qualifications: (Full statement of qualifications available at the Human Resources Department, City Hall, 24 Lowell Street)
Education: BA/BS in business, planning, economic development, or a related field required. Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in local government or a related agency/field, preferably with specific economic development or community development experience. Demonstrated marketing and organizational skills required. Must have the ability to develop, plan and coordinate project and program activities. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment. Must have demonstrated knowledge of planning, zoning and economic development, as well as public-private issues within the City. A thorough working knowledge of the local permitting process, along with previous working experience with city boards and commissions, is strongly desired. Real estate knowledge a plus. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel required, database management skills a plus. Outstanding customer service skills required. Excellent information technology, social media, and communication skills are essential.
Posting date: November 12, 2021
Qualified candidates please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume on or before 12:30 PM on Friday, December 10, 2021, at the City of Peabody, Human Resources Department, City Hall, 24 Lowell St. Peabody, MA 01960; email email@example.com; fax 978-278-1544.