The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) is seeking an Entry Level Public Outreach Coordinator to join the transportation planning team. CMRPC serves 40 communities in southern Worcester County, with a population of about 500,000. CMRPC provides services in roadway, transit and bicycle/pedestrian planning, technical assistance in land use and Smart Growth techniques, homeland security assistance, GIS, and grant administration.
This role requires excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, and coordination both within the organization and externally. Internally, this person is key to ensuring that project managers have the materials and support they need to effectively communicate with stakeholders and members of the public. Externally, the Public Outreach Coordinator will take the lead on developing relationships with diverse group of existing and new stakeholders; writing, conducting, and analyzing surveys; developing public outreach materials; planning public meetings; and exploring new media and approaches for outreach and communications.
Specific Job duties include:
- Scheduling public hearings and meetings, preparing meeting agendas, attending meetings, taking minutes.
- Serve as a liaison connecting the communities/stakeholders and staff.
- Data collection, data entry and analysis, including research of various data sets to include in planning activities.
- Title VI/ADA liaison for the department, including outsourcing translation services and interpreters, and accessibility checks.
- Support planning staff in tasks related to public outreach, including writing public notices, press releases, newsletter articles, social media content, presentations, and support staff in public engagement activities and events, both in person and virtual.
- Support planning analysis using transportation planning procedures, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and other tools.
The preferred candidate is required to have the following skills and abilities:
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, including clarity in public speaking, writing and editing. Ability to communicate effective orally and in writing to diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of social media, video editing and online meeting platforms.
- Knowledge of data collection, analysis and planning principles.
- Knowledge of Title VI/ADA requirements a plus.
- Understanding of various transportation datasets, analyses and mapping.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign a plus.
- Positive attitude, self-motivator and strong interpersonal skills.
- Organized and have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced business environment.
- Inter-personal skills to work with other members of a planning team, including developing consensus on solutions, facilitating public participation, and implementing action plans.
Minimum Bachelor Degree in Urban/Transportation Planning or Geography. Salary $35,000 -$45,000 commensurate with experience. CMRPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits; a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment; and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Candidate must be willing to adhere to all active and future public safety requirements (including mask and/or vaccination mandates). Must have legal authorization to work in the United States and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
Send resume and cover letter by Friday, November 19, 2021 to Yahaira Graxirena, Transportation Project Manager, CMRPC, One Mercantile St, Suite 520, Worcester, MA 01608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org CMRPC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or disability in employment or the provision of services.