Vacancy Number: 21-251-1
Title of Position: Principal Planner & Special Projects Coordinator
Salary Range: $66,788 – $87,831
Date Posted: September 9, 2021
Deadline for Applying: Open until filled.
Remarks: This is a classified, exempt position.
Examination Weight is 100% Education & Experience
Under the general direction of the Planning Director, supervises and participates in subdivision and land development applications, and coordinates special projects such as grant writing and administration. Manages or participates in sensitive and complex assignments. Manages or assists with specialized planning functions such as large-scale new development proposals, zoning revisions, comprehensive plans, architectural and site design, and public capital projects. Leads or supervises major planning and policy projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, assigns and reviews the work of one to three employees assigned to the Planning
- Coordinates, directs and participates in tasks necessary to complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis.
- Attends monthly Planning Board meetings, and other public meetings and forums, such as City Council meetings, to provide information and answer
- Serves as technical expert to the Planning Board on all matters relating to subdivision and land development
- Conducts or reviews trend analyses and environmental
- Manages complex land use planning projects, conducts public outreach and advises the Planning Director on all planning-related
- Prepares and presents, or oversees the preparation and presentation of staff reports to the Planning
- Analyzes and evaluates data, demographics, mapping and statistics; and develops facts, findings, and recommendations for special projects.
- Coordinates the Planning Board application process with other City departments, or outside entities, by reviewing building development projects for completeness, compliance with City ordinances, architectural design, site design, and other elements that will impact the decision making
- Performs field investigations as needed to ensure projects conform to approved
- Assists the Director and Principal Planner on all planning-related matters, long term planning strategies, comprehensive planning, re-zoning, land use and revisions to municipal
Education & Experience: Master’s Degree in community planning, public administration or a closely related field of study, and a minimum of four years of related, professional experience; or a combination of substantially equivalent education and experience.
Application instructions are at: https://www.warwickri.gov/personnel-department/pages/employment-opportunities
Special Note: The selected candidate will be subject to a post job offer, pre-employment, criminal background check. Negative findings may be disqualifying.
The City of Warwick offers a robust menu of employer provided benefits to include individual and family health and dental insurance; pension, paid time off to include holidays, vacation, personal time and sick leave; life insurance, and optional, supplemental retirement plans.