Dynamic and motivated individual sought for a Planner position in the Community Planning Program with the Berkshire Regional Planning Commission (BRPC), a regional planning agency serving Berkshire County in Western Massachusetts. The Berkshires offer a high quality of life for those who value outdoor recreation, cultural amenities, and a strong sense of community. This position involves local and regional land use planning, comprehensive planning, housing planning, open space and recreation planning, and related work. The Planner is a staff support person for multiple complex planning projects. This position:
- works with municipalities to prepare comprehensive planning documents such as but not limited to Master (Comprehensive) Plans, Open Space and Recreation Plans, Complete Streets Plan, ADA Transition Plans, and Housing Plans (Housing Needs Assessments / Housing Production Plans);
- works to develop and implement regional plans, such as a Regional Housing Strategy;
- provides planning services as needed to implement the District Local Technical Assistance DLTA Program. The DLTA program provides focused direct planning assistance by BRPC planners to municipalities on a wide range of planning topics, including zoning, housing, municipal services, and community development;
- works with municipalities to develop land use bylaws and ordinances to advance municipal specific land use objectives; and
- provides support as needed to other agency program areas, such as the Housing and Community Development Program (i.e., Community Development Block Grant), Public Health Program (i.e., Age-Friendly Berkshires), Energy and Environmental Program (i.e., municipal vulnerability assessments), Regional Services (i.e., Berkshire Group Purchasing Program).
The successful candidate is a problem solver, who can identify, and asses needs or opportunities and identify and initiate ways to solve problems or seize opportunities. The candidate must demonstrate a high-level basic planning skill set, strong analytic and writing capabilities, and demonstrate strong ability to effortlessly communicate and work collaboratively with a wide range of people. Must work within the Microsoft Office platform.
Minimum requirements: Master’s degree in planning or closely related field. Experience analyzing and writing zoning bylaws / ordinances a plus. Candidate must have valid driver’s license and access to private vehicle.
Starting salary range is $49,894 – $56,475 with very attractive benefits package. Minimum work week is 35 hours per week with flex time available. Currently employees are required to be in-office two days per week and allowed to telework the other days.
Submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org, by e-mail only: cover letter, resume, and a two page writing sample. Please include the phrase Planner Community Planning in the subject line of your e-mail. (Please limit your writing submission to no longer than 2 pages, even if it needs to be an excerpt.) No telephone calls. Position available immediately and open until filled. A position description and information about BRPC is available at http://berkshireplanning.org/about/employment-and-internship-opportunities/. EOE/Smoke- and Drug-free Workplace. 1 Fenn Street, Suite 201, Pittsfield, MA 01201. Only serious applicants should apply.