We are currently accepting applications for the full-time (35 hours per week) position: Environmental Planner
Starting Salary Range: $52,000 – $62,0000 Excellent benefits package
Assist MVPC with the implementation of regional environmental programming including in the areas of Clean Energy, Stormwater Management, and Climate Resiliency and Hazard Mitigation.
The employee will work under the direction of the Environmental Program Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct support in the preparation of plans for local, state, and federal programs including but not limited to wetland and water resources, stormwater, wastewater and coastal resources studies/plans; master plans; open space and recreation plans; emergency and hazard mitigation plans; work related to climate change, resiliency, and sustainability; open space monitoring, maintenance, and trail planning; brownfields assessment and remediation; clean energy, net-zero, and greenhouse gas reduction planning.
- Assist in the development and implementation of various grant proposals including those for state and federal agencies (EPA, CZM, MassDOER, MassDEP, MEMA/FEMA).
- Assemble and maintain files and environmental data for communities in the region.
- Work with municipal leaders and staff to understand local and regional environmental concerns and work to develop solutions.
- Understand and communicate environmental best practices.
- Help develop and promote partnerships within the region (municipal, non-profit, educational, etc.) to further project development and funding opportunities.
- Provide education and outreach on environmental topics of interest to MVPC communities including non-point source pollution, green infrastructure, energy efficiency and climate change.
- Conduct surveys and research on environmental issues in the Merrimack Valley.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of state and local environmental programs, permits, and policies.
- Working knowledge of the economic, sociological, and environmental aspects of planning and development.
- Demonstrated comfort and experience in public speaking and presentation.
- Ability to perform basic research and analyze data using acceptable research practices, and to formulate alternatives and recommendations.
- Ability to prepare written and graphic materials; to compose clear and concise reports; to prepare and make presentations; and to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with citizens, professional peers and elected officials.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), GIS familiarity highly desirable.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Education and Experience
- Four-year degree in environmental science, engineering, or planning, or related field; 3 years of relevant experience in environmental planning/regulation at the state, regional or local level; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience associated with environmental research and writing in one or more areas such as report preparation and grant writing, and/or experience in permitting, planning, and/or fieldwork in a municipal environment
- Any equivalent combination of experience and additional education or training that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this work.
- Experience with Massachusetts projects is preferred, with special attention for individuals with local knowledge and contacts in the lower Merrimack Valley region.
- Cultural fluency and experience working with Environmental Justice communities
- Non-traditional qualifications are welcome, all candidates are encouraged to apply
Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations
- Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts Driver’s license.
Regular work hours are Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm. MVPC prides itself in being a flexible and accommodating place to work and provides employees with the ability to work on a sliding schedule to accommodate an employee’s work-life balance. MVPC currently requires two in-office days and allows employees to work remotely up to three days a week. Maintaining a remote work option is a priority for MVPC post-COVID.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume by October 15, 2021 to: email@example.com
Visit our website MVPC.org for more information about the organization.
The Merrimack Valley Planning Commission is an EEO/AA Employer