MASCO is seeking a talented and motivated Urban Planner/Designer. This is an outstanding opportunity for a hands-on planner to contribute to strategies, studies, and designs for Longwood, one of Boston’s busiest and most dynamic neighborhoods and an epicenter of innovation, culture, education, and healthcare. The right candidate will be a highly motivated, mission- and values-driven planner who is committed to customer service, has an operational focus, and is able to manage sophisticated projects.
MASCO is where talent and motivation come together to do impactful work for the Longwood community. Take your career to the next level with us! Learn more about MASCO here.
- Aid in the development and completion of short- and long-range district plans, studies, and implementation plans. Areas of focus are broad and may include: planning for pedestrian and cyclist improvements, land use, urban design, and zoning studies, utility infrastructure and resiliency planning, sustainability initiatives, and transportation planning support.
- As part of a team, serve as the project coordinator for the Longwood urban placemaking program called “Outside”, a six-month per year program on seven sites. Select responsibilities include coordination with contracted ‘ambassadors,’ site owners, and program partners; program operating procedures development; budget monitoring; marketing assistance, metrics evaluation, and new program planning.
- Lead division’s GIS mapping programs including development of area wide maps and update, and training on the use of utilities, asset management and transportation applications.
- Track, research, interpret, assess, and report on city, state, and federal regulations that may impact members’ operations in facilities, sustainability, energy, and infrastructure. Attend meetings for core regulations and assist with assessment of rapidly changing environmental regulations.
- Review member institutions’ master plans and development proposals; provide comments and assistance to institutions as part of the public review process.
- May be called upon to represent MASCO or member institutions with city, regional, and state agencies on matters impacting upon program initiatives and seek to influence planning
- Periodically update aerial photography, base maps, and 3-D model working with members and outside
- Develop contracts and expedite revenue collection and disbursement of portions of departmental budget for contracted services in areas of responsibilities.
- Minimum four years relevant experience and bachelor’s degree in urban planning or related field.
- Proficiency in GIS and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Ability to produce clear and concise maps, diagrams, and graphics.
- Knowledge of local and state government structures and permitting/approval processes.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, communication, and organizational skills.
- Patience/flexibility to meet demands of a changing environment, while working independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle situations, issues and information with sound judgement, diplomacy, and sensitivity.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Monthly MBTA subsidy or FREE offsite parking
- Three weeks paid time off and hybrid work schedule
- Tuition reimbursement/ professional development
- 401(k) plan with generous employer contribution
MASCO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment that celebrates the diversity represented by our employees and member institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.