Reporting to the Director of Planning Services in the Harvard Planning Office (HPO), the Senior Campus Planner will be part of a team of planners who are guiding the future physical development of Harvard University in the Cities of Boston and Cambridge.
The Senior Campus Planner will provide services in support of the University’s campus growth and development needs in terms of physical planning, public approvals, and data analysis. This individual oversees planning projects to deliver short- and long-term planning solutions to support the University’s teaching and research mission. The work includes conducting technical analyses and managing studies and projects associated with University-wide physical planning and public approvals to support University, faculty, and capital project need in terms of land use, space planning/programming, housing, historic preservation, transportation, open space, sustainability/environmental, and development controls. Works with public officials and outside consultants as well as internal and external committees on complex and sensitive planning issues and projects. Provides high-quality research and analysis, interpret data, synthesizes conclusions into recommendations, and produces clear and concise verbal and written reports and presentation materials. Represents the University in public hearings and processes. Conducts data analysis and undertakes required filings to meet regulatory requirements and support campus planning.
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
• Degree in urban planning or related discipline required
• Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience with urban and campus planning
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Strong project management, organizational, analytical, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Knowledge and experience focusing on urban planning focus areas including resiliency, sustainability, housing, and transportation.
• Experience in data analysis using Excel.
• Ability to work in a consensus-driven environment that involves internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience working with local municipal and state planning officials.
• Adept at handling issues that require sensitivity and sound judgment.
• Certified planner credentials is a plus
• Advanced degree in urban planning or related discipline is a plus.
• Knowledge of the Boston, Cambridge, and Harvard communities is a plus.
Requisite Skill Set
• Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization, the ability to work well in teams and independently.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines while working concurrently on multiple projects.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent MS Office skills, including strong Excel skills. Skills with databases, GIS, Adobe Creative Suite.
PLEASE NOTE: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Job Function: Facilities
Location: USA – MA – Cambridge
Job Code: 330058 Facilities & Oper SrSpecialist
Department: Harvard Planning Office
Time Status: Full-time
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Pre-Employment Screening: Education, Identity
Schedule: Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Use this link to apply: