The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission, serving 40 communities in Southern Worcester County, seeks an experienced, innovative, and team-oriented professional land use planner at a level commensurate with experience to join its multi-disciplinary Regional Collaboration and Community Planning staff. This division provides a broad spectrum of support and technical services, including community and economic development planning; energy and environmental planning; open space and recreation planning; zoning bylaw and subdivision regulation writing and technical assistance; master and open space planning; and a variety of grant writing and administrative services.
- The successful candidate will be required to scope, identify funding sources and lead our communities through a variety of land use planning processes including (but not limited to) community comprehensive plans (master plans), housing production plans, and land use studies. The Principal Planner will also be called on to provide technical assistance on a wide variety of zoning and land use issues to our 40 partner A Master’s degree with five to seven years or a bachelor’s degree with seven to nine years of relevant and progressively responsible regional or municipal planning experience, is highly desirable. AICP certification is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Massachusetts land use regulatory environment and zoning, particularly Massachusetts General Law Chapter 40A, is essential
- Excellent communication skills including writing and speaking are a must
- Strong candidates will possess project management skills, organizational skills, and the ability to thrive in a team environment
- Practical knowledge and understanding of current and emerging housing planning, economic development, municipal and regional service, transportation planning, and energy and environmental planning is also highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in community engagement, workshop facilitation, outreach skills are highly encouraged
- Resource development and project administration skills are also desired.
Starting salary range $57,000 to $75,000 depending upon qualifications and experience. In addition to competitive compensation, CMRPC offers a great work environment and an excellent benefits package.
If you can bring energy, expertise, and a strong work ethic to CMRPC in this capacity, please submit your resume, three professional references, and a cover letter stating your qualifications by Monday, June 7, 2021, to Trish Settles, Deputy Director, c/o CMRPC, One Mercantile Street, Worcester, MA 01608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CMRPC is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religious creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran’s status and/or ancestry.