The Town of Acton is seeking a detail oriented Assistant Planner to join the Planning Division team. This full-time position offers the exciting opportunity to serve a diverse population on matters of community planning and development. The Division is involved in a wide array of planning initiatives ranging from transportation, economic development, conservation and housing initiatives.
- Provides customer services as it pertains to land use matters; assists with questions and complaints over the phone and at the public counter.
- Performs reviews of site plans, subdivisions, and other permits for completeness and compliance with the Town of Acton Zoning Bylaw and land use goals of the Acton2020 Plan; provides staff support to the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Coordinates and manages public hearing processes and communication between applicants, departments, the public and boards/committees.
- Assists with administration of the Community Preservation Act.
- Permit administration, including hard copy and electronic file maintenance from time to time.
- Assists with community engagement initiatives, planning projects, grant writing and program management.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Master’s Degree in Planning/Community Development, or closely related field with (1) year of technical experience in the field; or Bachelor’s Degree in Planning/Community Development, or closely related field, with a minimum of two years of technical experience, at least six (6) months of which was spent providing support in environmental, planning, mapping, architectural, civil engineering or other related agency. Or, any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to provide staff support for evening meetings.
Preferred Qualifications: Two (2) or more years of front line work experience in a city or town government setting. Experience with public outreach is a plus. Willingness and commitment to working towards AICP certification while employed. Familiarly with Massachusetts land use laws and Arc GIS. Multi-language skills.
Pay Rate: Starting salary range: $62,410 to $70,244
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to Human Resources Department, firstname.lastname@example.org. Acton is an EOE.
Deadline: First review of applications will be on May 17, 2021