Position: Planning Intern (x 2)
Location: Department of Planning & Development
Position Type: Paid / Part Time / Flexible Hours
Pay: $17.50/hr (20 hr max per week)
The City of Chicopee’s Department of Planning & Development plans to hire two (2) interns to assist the Department with a number of on-going and upcoming projects throughout the remainder of the Fiscal Year 2021 and throughout Fiscal Year 2022 (June 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022) pending approval of the Department’s Fiscal Year 2022 budget request. Both positions will contribute to and gain experience from the following projects and activities during the 13-month internship:
– Research and develop proposals for various grant programs (federal, state & private foundations) the Department plans to pursue;
– Assist in the management of on-going Department-led grant-funded projects;
– Assist with Chicopee’s first City-wide comprehensive planning process: “Envision Our Chicopee: 2040”;
– Assist with economic and community development efforts working with the Chicopee Center Transformative Development Initiative (TDI) Partnership;
– Assist with the development and maintenance of Departmental webpages (across different platforms) and social media outreach accounts (Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp);
– Assist in the project management of on-going Brownfields assessment, cleanup, and redevelopment projects through Chicopee’s Brownfields Program;
– Assist in the Department’s digital archiving of historic Department hard-copy files;
– Assist in the planning and organization of City events;
– Assist the City’s GIS Director with on-going GIS-based projects and data development as needed;
– Assist Planning Staff with Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Conservation Commission & Historical Commission meetings & document management, including administration and operation of the Department’s new e-permitting system; and
– Other projects as deemed appropriate by Department Staff.
Selected interns will be expected to work a maximum of 20 hours per week with compensation of $17.50 per hour. Selected interns will report to the Planning Director and will collaborate with and be supported by all Planning Department Staff.
Recent graduates and individuals planning to return to an academic program of study during the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters are encouraged to apply. Planning Staff and any selected individual(s) will develop an appropriate work schedule to accommodate class schedules as needed.
The City of Chicopee formally invites historically underrepresented groups, such as women and minorities to apply for its open positions.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume and writing and/or graphic sample by May 21, 2021 to:
Paul A. N. Winspeare, Assistant HR Director
Department of Human Resources
Please reference the Planning Department Internship Positions in your cover letter. For questions or any additional information please contact the Planning Department.
Online job description: