P-31-21, Planning Technician (DPD)
Job Type: Union
Job No.: P-31-21
Salary: $48,890.69 – $53,770.71
Department: Planning and Development
Posting Dates: 04/07/2021 – 04/20/2021
New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below the contractual rate of pay for the period of July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. Wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 30, 2022, new employees shall receive the full contractual rate. This rate does not apply to IT Department positions.
The City of Providence formally invites historically underrepresented groups, such as women and minorities to apply for its open positions.
Under general supervision of the Deputy Director of Planning and Development or designee, the Planning Technician assists Department staff in performing the full range of professional and para-professional duties necessary to the operation of an urban planning office. Work elements include writing, research, data analysis, constituent, and the use of various types of computer programs including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation, mapping, and graphic design.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the compilation and interpretation of physical, social, and economic data used in the analysis of planning and urban redevelopment problems and in the design of the solutions to these problems.
- Prepares written and graphic reports using computerized word processing, graphic design, presentation, mapping, spreadsheet, database software, and other software devices.
- Prepares concise informational materials for City boards, neighborhood groups and other constituencies on planning and redevelopment matters.
- Performs basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field such as urban studies, urban design, architecture, historic preservation, or engineering with course work in urban planning.
- Knowledge of urban planning principals, including comprehensive planning, neighborhood planning, and zoning.
- Ability to perform research, data collection, and analysis using computer software programs common to urban planning.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials and the general public.
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience or interest in web design, graphic design, and ARC GIS is desirable.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Upon Appointment Successful completion of Advanced Computer Training course in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook within six (6) months of appointment.
Sustainment: Must attend all training sessions regarding departmental systems and/or software that may be installed in the future.
EXTERNAL CANDIDATES – APPLY HERE
CURRENT EMPLOYEES (1033 ONLY) – APPLY HERE