Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Director for Allston Master Planning in the Harvard Allston Initiatives unit, the Senior Manager for Transportation will be part of a team of planners and analysts who are guiding the future physical development of Harvard University in the City of Boston (including work in Allston and the Longwood Medical Area) and the City of Cambridge. The position also coordinates deeply, and possesses a professional, consultative relationship to the Harvard Planning Office, which focuses on geographies outside of Allston.
This individual will play a key role in the development of short- and long-term transportation plans for the University with a particular focus on Harvard’s planning in Allston and a recognition of the importance of active and sustainable transportation.
This individual should have deep experience in developing and implementing regional, district, subarea, and site-level transportation plans, as well as the ability to review and critique the transportation elements of broader plans. This work spans the campus setting in Cambridge, to the medical community setting in Longwood, to the intersection of institutional campus and urban streetscape in Allston. In particular, this individual should have an understanding of complex and complicated transportation projects, and will be a key part of the team at Harvard University that considers the Allston Multimodal Project currently being advanced by the Commonwealth.
The work includes transportation planning, analysis, research, modeling and policy development for a broad array of issues related to pedestrian, bike and vehicle traffic; public and private passenger transit; rail; Transportation Demand Management; parking; and river crossings. Much of the work will involve the management of consultants and the review and coordination of consultant’s work. Responsibilities may also include physical planning and analysis for other university, campus and urban planning issues relating to infrastructure for the campus and review and development of the transportation elements of construction management approaches for campus projects.
The functions of the role will include:
- Develop annual budgets for consultants; initiate/prepare, review and approve work orders; review, track and approve invoices
- Support Harvard capital projects
- Support institutional master planning
- Coordinate with staff and consultants working on the Harvard Enterprise Research Campus
- Support Harvard’s coordination with Boston, Cambridge and DCR officials.
- Work with MassDOT officials and their consultants on metropolitan scale planning issues and infrastructure projects
- Participate in area civic and professional organizations
- Conduct independent transportation analysis of transportation issues and develop appropriate responses and recommendations.
- Produce clear and concise oral and written reports and graphic presentation materials, and present information to stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, urban planning, architecture, engineering, or related field required.
- Minimum of 10 years of planning and analytical experience including a minimum of 5 years transportation planning experience required.
- Ability to take initiative and provide leadership to address transportation issues.
- Demonstrated ability to support and/or lead multi-disciplinary teams working on complex projects in an urban environment.
- Ability to work in a consensus-driven environment that involves internal and external stakeholders.
- Established experience working with local municipal and state transportation and planning officials.
- Experience in the development of analytical and planning-related communication materials for internal and external audiences, including written reports, visual media and verbal presentations.
- Advanced degree in a transportation-related discipline is a plus
- Professional engineering or certified planner credentials is a plus
- Experience in climate action planning and resiliency is a plus
Requisite Skill Set
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization, the ability to work well in teams and also independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines while working concurrently on multiple projects.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent MS Office skills. Skills with databases, GIS and graphics.
To review all details of the position and to apply please follow the following link:
PLEASE NOTE: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.