Dodson & Flinker is a nationally recognized planning and landscape architecture practice. We apply landscape architectural and urban design principles to a wide range of regional, urban, and town planning projects. Located in Northampton, Massachusetts, the firm has pioneered physical planning and urban design strategies that create vibrant, walkable communities that blend new development with the preservation and enhancement of open space, farmland, and environmentally sensitive areas. Current planning projects include comprehensive planning, area plans, zoning updates, housing studies and planning for climate resilience. The firm has a particular focus on community engagement, smart growth, and visualizing change.
Dodson & Flinker currently has an opening for a planner/urban designer with 0-4 years of experience. We are looking for a creative, thoughtful, and well-organized person, with strong visual, verbal, and written communication skills, and an ability to work both independently and within a team. Applicants should have interests and skills that range from large-scale planning to site planning and should be excited to live and work in Western Massachusetts. Though the firm’s primary practice is in landscape architecture, this position is for a planner comfortable with research, writing, mapping, and quantitative analysis.
- Graduate or undergraduate degree in planning, urban design, landscape architecture, ecological design, or a related field, with experience in planning
- Knowledge of planning principles and methods
- Subject matter knowledge/experience in one or more of the following areas preferred: zoning (including form-based codes), climate resilience, economic development, housing
- Strong communication skills including writing, speaking, and listening, with the ability to facilitate discussions at public meetings, interact with clients, work collaboratively on planning and urban design projects, and write at a professional level
- Strong ability to communicate ideas visually through maps, diagrams, graphs, illustrations
- Proficiency in ArcGIS, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, SketchUp, Microsoft Office. Experience with AutoCad, Rhino 3D, Revit, and rendering software would be beneficial but not required.
- Ability to work independently, take direction, manage time, and solve problems
- Experience working in a professional office setting
- Assist principal and senior associates on a range of planning and community design projects
- Conduct mapping and analysis using ArcGIS
- Write and compile reports including graphic design and layout
- Create graphics for planning and design projects.
- Collect and analyze data
- Review and revise development regulations (zoning, subdivision regulations, etc.)
- Attend and help facilitate meetings and workshops
- Create digital and physical models
- Help with the day-to-day tasks of running a small office as needed, including managing software licenses, equipment troubleshooting, help to organize and purchase office supplies
This position will be remote to start, but we expect it to transition to an in-person position when COVID conditions allow. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience. We welcome candidates from all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but we anticipate scheduling the first round of interviews during the week of March 29, 2021.
Please email a cover letter (addressed to Peter Flinker), resume, and portfolio or work samples to: email@example.com with “Entry Level” in the subject line. No telephone calls, please. Work samples should include professional writing, maps, and graphics.