North Star Planning (www.northstar-planning.com) is a small, Maine-based planning firm located in the Portland area. We work on a variety of municipal and private sector projects involving land use issues, transportation systems, public process and facilitation, and development planning and permitting.
We are looking for an Associate Planner to join our team to better serve existing clients and support continued expansion of our project base.
The Associate Planner is an entry to mid-level salaried position. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a high level of commitment to client success and will thrive working on a wide variety of projects as part of a small team in an entrepreneurial environment.
The Associate Planner will support projects related to land use planning, research and data analysis, plan drafting and design, ordinance drafting, site evaluation, group facilitation, public engagement, and community and economic development. As such, candidates with a background in local or regional planning, community development, public policy, economic development, urban planning and design, landscape architecture, or communications are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a somewhat flexible schedule, and like many offices, much of our work is remote at this time. Remote candidates will be considered, but there is an expectation that the position will require a physical presence at our office on the Pineland Farms business campus in New Gloucester later this spring.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with the team, clients, and other professionals
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Effective writing skills in a range of writing formats, including narrative reports, summary memoranda, and technical ordinance drafting
- Strong research and data synthesis skills
- Ability to manage work for multiple deadlines simultaneously and willingness to learn technical subject matter as needed
- Desire to work in a busy, high-performance, professional, service-oriented environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google Workspace/G Suite
- Familiarity with some of the following preferred:
- Adobe InDesign for report development and graphics
- GIS software such as ArcGIS or QGIS
- Video content creation tools
- Web site design and management
- Bachelor’s degree in community planning and development, city and regional planning, public policy, public administration, or another related field is a minimum requirement. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- A driver’s license and the ability to attend occasional evening or weekend meetings
- AICP accreditation is not required, though a path to certification is envisioned.
Salary and benefits
Range $45,000-$55,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Competitive benefits package includes medical and retirement match.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
North Star Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer