Internal/External Job Posting
Requisition ID: 190008QD
Posting Date: February 9, 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Official Title: Transportation Program Planner V
Functional Title: Manager of Transit Planning
Location: Office of Transportation Planning
State Transportation Building – 10 Park Plaza, Boston
Salary: $73,962.72 – $103,626.38
Human Resources: Robin Burke
Diversity Officer: Derrick Mann – 857‐368‐8541 ADA Coordinator: Derrick Mann – 857‐368‐8541
The Manager of Transit Planning oversees MassDOT’s Office of Transportation Planning’s (OTP) Transit Planning Group (Group). This Group supports the planning, policy making, and data analysis needs of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and its various departments including Capital Planning, Capital Delivery, Bus Operations, Commuter Rail Operations, and the various leads on the MBTA’s rapid transit lines.
Recent work of this Group has established foundational planning documents and tools such as Focus40, Rail Vision, and the Bus Network Redesign for senior leaders at MassDOT and the MBTA. As the MBTA continues to explore ways to improve service to its customers, the Group has helped to develop the planning work to support and influence these changes. In particular, MBTA’s bus prioritization was based strongly on the work and engagement efforts of this Group. Because OTP is a shared service department, this Group has the MBTA as its primary client, but also supports transit policy initiatives from the Office of the Secretary. This support also requires coordination with another shared service, the Office of Performance Management and Innovation (OPMI).
This position will oversee and guide the project management activities for the Group’s staff, as well as manage specific projects as assigned.
Ten Park Plaza, Suite 4160, Boston, MA 02116 Tel: 857-368-4636, TTY: 857-368-0655
In this position, the Manager of Transit Planning:
- Will work on various transit policy efforts for MassDOT/MBTA Senior Leadership in coordination with the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director
- Will manage all aspects of assigned
- Will support Group staff on their management of assigned projects including public
- Will perform daily administrative functions for his/her group as well as annual performance evaluation
- Will work in a fast‐paced environment and will need to be able to prioritize different tasks and perform work
- Will manage both external consultants and internal
- Will need to be a good communicator, both oral and written, and be comfortable presenting in public.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Robin Burke, Human Resources, at email@example.com.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days. All applications must be submitted online, through MassCareers, to be considered.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) six years of full‐time, or equivalent part‐time, professional or technical experience in urban planning, regional planning, land use planning or transportation planning, and (B) of which at least four years must have been in a professional capacity, and (C) of which at least two years must have been in a supervisory capacity, or (D) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in urban or regional planning or transportation, civil or environmental engineering may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience.*
- A Graduate degree with a major in urban or regional planning or transportation, civil or environmental engineering may be substituted for maximum of three years of the required (A) experience and one year of the required (B) *
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required.
For Non‐MassDOT Applicants: Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, in urban or regional planning, transportation, civil or environmental engineering for this position.
For MassDOT Employees: Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, in urban or regional planning, transportation, civil or environmental engineering for this position, or hold a position in the department in one of the next two lower titles than the position applied for, in the same or similar career ladder.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered. If you need an accommodation to complete the application electronically please contact the Interim ADA Coordinator, Derrick Mann, at 857‐368‐8541.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.