** This position is a regular, full-time position that is temporarily a remote position. The position is to lead our Northeast planning group based out of our Boston office, however we are open to properly qualified candidates residing anywhere in the Northeast **
Are you an experienced transportation planner and leader who is passionate about doing work that produces practical outcomes for safer, more sustainable, healthier, and more inclusive communities? Do you enjoy big picture strategic thinking and leading teams, along with the ability to dive into projects with an eye on quality and budget? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to lead our Northeast planning practice.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, our mission is to create vibrant places and mobility networks for people of all ages and abilities. As Director of Planning in a well-established region anchored by our second largest office, you’ll be in a leadership position- mentoring and leading others, overseeing challenging projects across the Northeast, and proactively involved in business development.
Our staff of 200+ transportation professionals are passionate about advancing the state-of-the-practice and making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is nimble and creative, and you will collaborate with planners, researchers, urban designers, landscape architects, and engineers across the country, with the support of a strong team of accounting, marketing, administrative, and HR professionals.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and work for common purpose as part of a mission driven firm. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business and are proud that half of our managers are female and of our commitment to achieving racial diversity amongst the firm leadership. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
- You are passionate about making a positive difference in how people experience public spaces and mobility networks
- You excel at leading, motivating, and mentoring people and teams with diverse areas of focus, passion, and expertise
- You are service-oriented and enjoy building strong relationships across disciplines, across offices, and with clients
- You are passionate about advancing racial and social justice through your work
- You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbal or graphically
- You deliver high-quality work on time and on-budget, and know how to inspire this in others
- You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
We’ll offer you:
- The opportunity to lead a dynamic, talented team of professionals in a region with remarkable business development opportunities for our services
- The opportunity to learn and influence how we assess, plan, and develop policies, programs and networks for communities throughout the region, and the rest of the country.
- Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
- A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
- Exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal training, conference attendance, and professional associations
What you’ll need:
At least a bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, or related field; additional experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- Minimum of 12 years of planning experience, 15+ years preferred with at least some at a consulting firm or public entity
- At least 5 years of hands on experience managing staff teams, including recruiting, mentoring and coaching, managing workloads, etc.
- Demonstrated success managing complex transportation projects, working with staff teams, consultants and subconsultants, and managing schedules and budgets
- The drive and ability to successfully pursue business development opportunities
- The ability to communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and partners through any medium or situation
- A willingness to develop new techniques, lead projects in new practice areas, or oversee the use of new tools
- Additional experience in transit planning, land use planning, equity planning and/or climate resiliency strongly preferred
About our Boston office:
The Boston office of Toole Design is conveniently located just outside of Post Office Square in downtown Boston, blocks from multiple MBTA subway lines and walking distance from both North and South Stations. The office is easily accessed on foot, by bicycle, and via transit. Our team is a dynamic mix of engineers, planners, landscape architects, and administrative professionals.
Our Northeast planning group works on a dynamic range of transportation and placemaking projects for clients throughout the region and across the country. Our work ranges from statewide master plans, to award-winning design guides, to planning for street transformations at the local level. In the Northeast, our planning staff are currently leading Vision Zero efforts, transit plans/feasibility studies, micromobility studies, and numerous regional, municipal, and neighborhood multimodal master plans.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).