Under the supervision of the Director of Comprehensive Planning and Housing, with potential tasks also to be completed for the Transportation Planning Manager, the Comprehensive Planning Technician works as assigned – with various project managers – to perform a wide variety of data editing and analysis, map and graphic production, database maintenance, and producing and updating web services on ArcGIS online. The Comprehensive Planning Technician supports the diverse work program of a busy and growing Regional Planning Agency.
The position’s work responsibilities include:
- Designing, managing, and editing complex GIS datasets
- Responding to internal data requests on an as-needed basis
- Organizing and interpreting demographic, market, and land use data
- Conducting land use analyses and scenario planning
- Creating maps, charts, and figures for a variety of projects
- Creating flyers and press releases in support of public outreach efforts
- Completing occasional field work (e.g., culvert surveys, assisting with drone flights, 3-D building scans)
- Communicating effectively with internal staff and agency partners
- Constructing web pages
- Executing social media posts in coordinating with project managers
- Performing other duties as needed
Attendance at some night and/or weekend meetings will be required. SRPEDD is working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic; we will return to in-person operations as soon as it is safe to do so.
Experience with the following items is required:
- ESRI software, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, and ArcGIS Online
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong data analysis skills
- Data management best practices
- Cartographic principles and technical methods, including labeling
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong graphical communications skills
- Knowledge of WordPress website content management systems
Familiarity with the following items is preferred:
- Python, SQL, R, or another related programming language
- Massachusetts datasets such as MassGIS Standardized (“Level 3”) Parcels, zoning, Road Inventory File, crash data, transit networks, and environmental layers
- Topics related to regional/urban planning
- ArcGIS Story Maps, Survey123, and ArcGIS collector
A Bachelors in Geographic Information Science, Geography, Urban/City Planning, or a closely related field is preferred.
$40,000 to $50,000, depending upon qualifications.
Requirements and Deadlines for Applications:
Please forward cover letter, resume, 2 to 4 work samples (maps, short writing samples, presentations, etc.), and 3 professional references via email by January 13, 2021 to:
Grant King, AICP, Director of Comprehensive Planning and Housing SRPEDD
88 Broadway, Taunton, MA 02780
SRPEDD is an Equal Opportunity employer. Position is open until filled.
For more information, please see www.srpedd.org/news
SRPEDD is a collegial workplace with experienced staff. We are looking for a proven self-starter and independent worker who is equally at home in a collaborative working environment.
Our work includes community master plans, regional transportation and bicycle projects, habitat restoration and watershed protection, climate change and hazard mitigation planning, build-out and fiscal impact scenarios, transit planning, zoning bylaws, drone surveys and 3D interior photography, economic development, and infrastructure initiatives, and more. SRPEDD supports the 4 cities and 23 towns in our region to build community and enhance quality of life for all. Through careful collaboration, SRPEDD seeks to enhance equitable economic development opportunities, envision, and plan for the long-term future, foster sustainable growth, and cultivate the systems and networks that emphasize social justice and community development.