Supports the operations of the Planning Division by providing staff support to the Planning Board and assisting in the design and implementation of planning studies, planning research and graphic materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job.
- Perform technical reviews and analyze applications submitted to the Planning Board for completeness and conformance with the City Code requirements.
- Review and analyze land development applications; perform related follow-up required to process and record Notices of Decision.
- Prepare written (and verbal as may be required) presentations of findings related to land development applications to the Planning Board as required.
- Provide email-based, front counter and telephone customer service assistance fielding general inquiries and ensuring accurate referrals as appropriate.
- Provide staffing support to the City Planner and Department Head in performing comprehensive technical reviews of existing or proposed ordinances, studies, long/short term plans, analysis, assessments and other such materials as may be assigned.
- Assist in formatting, publishing, and distributing site maps that deal with existing and proposed community planning programs or site plan identification, that requires use of GIS, Google Earth, and other map-making software.
- Perform related work as required and assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in urban or regional planning, architecture, urban design, geography or related discipline.
- Two (2) years of experience in urban planning or a related field
- Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) background check mandatory.
This position does not have formal supervisory responsibilities over other employees. Supervisors are responsible for signing performance reviews.
This position receives general direction and supervision of the City Planner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment and exposures described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works both inside and in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee may work in high precarious places and be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell.
The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The City of New Bedford, MA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Resumes will only be accepted with an employment application, which must be completed in full, in order to be considered for this position.
For required application and complete job description, please visit:
The completed application should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Staff Planner
Pay Grade: M-05
Pay Range: $50,719 – $63,404
New Bedford has a residency requirement per the City Code of Ordinances.