ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job.
- Manage and supervise planning operations to achieve goals within available resources; plan and organize workloads and staff assignments; train, motivate and evaluate assigned staff; review progress and direct changes as needed.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans; gather, interpret and prepare data for studies, reports, and recommendations; coordinate Department activities with other Departments and agencies as needed.
- Provide professional planning and land use advice to supervisors and other officials; make private and public presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups and the public.
- Establish, encourage, and enforce a high standard of design and aesthetic appeal for public and private construction projects – both vertical and horizontal.
- Assure that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; perform cost control activities; monitor revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; prepare annual budget requests; assure effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
- Oversee staffing to a variety of committees and commission of the Planning Board; serve as the representative to Advisory Boards; may be responsible for serving as the chair to certain committees or boards; represents the Planning Department before the City Council.
- Review all building permits and Certificates of Occupancy; draft and review updates and revisions to the Zoning Code of Ordinances; work with developers and applicants to ensure efficient permitting process and quality process.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in planning or a closely related discipline.
- At least five years of experience in municipal planning or a closely related field.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Resumes will only be accepted with an employment application, which must be completed in full, in order to be considered for this position.
For required application and complete job description, please visit:
The completed application should be emailed to: email@example.com.
New Bedford has a residency requirement per the City Code of Ordinances.
The City of New Bedford, MA is an Equal Opportunity Employer