Statement of Duties: The Senior Planner will provide the planning experience, technical knowledge, and interpersonal skills needed to advance the City’s aggressive planning agenda. Working under the overall supervision of the Director and the Deputy Director, the Senior Planner is responsible for the management of planning projects and related initiatives. The Senior Planner will be expected to define and direct projects across a range of planning disciplines, including land use, transportation, housing and economic development. The Senior Planner will coordinate the work of the Planning Department with a diverse range of entities, including the Planning Board, various City Divisions, as well as with community groups, regional groups, and state agencies.
Essential Function include, but are not limited to:
The essential functions or duties listed below illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible for the management of department planning projects and oversees economic initiatives both downtown and city-wide.
- Provides professional input and advice to the Director and Deputy Director, Mayor, and appointed committees as requested; serves as the department’s liaison to local citizens and business groups on planning and economic development issues, including downtown revitalization.
- Conducts independent statistical and narrative research pertaining to economic, social, and physical factors affecting the City including but not limited to federal EPA Brownfields funding; makes projections for growth and impacts by analyzing growth trends, population data and development pressures.
- Provides information and guidance to members of the public and land use owners as required pertaining to land use and zoning matters.
- May participate in staff reviews of major development projects before the City’s Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals; provides input as needed to the Master Plan process.
- Participates in transportation planning and helps coordinate the City’s submittals to the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) through the Regional Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
- Under the Direction of the Deputy Director, assist in the identification of, application for, and management of grants.
- Attends classes and educational seminars to maintain certification as a planner and to maintain knowledge of changes in planning laws and/or regulations.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience: Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a related field; five to seven (5-7) years of planning experience or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Valid Class D Motor Vehicle Driver’s License
Proven proficiency with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Proficiency with MS-Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Experience with graphic software such as Adobe or similar is preferred.
Certification as Planner by the AICP is highly desirable
Proven oral and written presentation skills
Strong interpersonal skills
SENIOR PLANNER – P&CD
Type: INTERNAL & EXTERNAL
Location: PLANNING & COMMUNITY DEVELPMT
Details: Job Description
HOURS: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:30am to 7:00pm
Friday 8:30am to 2:00pm
Occasional Night Meetings