Horsley Witten Group, Inc. (HW) is actively seeking a staff planner for our Providence Office. Our corporate mission includes enhancing community sustainability and water resource protection through planning projects related to urban revitalization, environmental justice, health equity, responsible climate change initiatives, watershed planning, open space enhancement, and pedestrian connectivity in New England and beyond. We believe access to a healthy environment makes for happy people and, and we are looking for employees with a passion for creating thriving communities.
Potential candidates will have:
- At least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited (or otherwise accomplished) university planning program.
- A desire to work in a high performance, professional, service-oriented environment.
- The ability to collaborate and support teams of Senior Planners with technical analyses, meeting documentation, and graphics development.
- The ability to review zoning codes and development ordinances for the purpose of assisting our engineers with design compliance.
- The ability to write and to accept editorial comments and constructive criticism of their work, and revise according to instruction.
- The ability to organize public meetings and attend evening meetings and hearings, including facilitation of activities designed to solicit input and to take excellent notes at these meetings.
- Proven experience and capabilities with graphic design software for infographics or report development (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign).
- Strong research and writing skills.
- A basic understanding of how local governments function.
- The ability to manage work for multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite.
Other desirable (not required) qualifications include:
- A Master’s Degree from an accredited (or otherwise accomplished) university planning program.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
- Experience with visualization tools such as SketchUp or similar applications.
- Experience with community planning software, such as CommunityViz.
- Experience with online survey platforms such as SurveyMonkey, Microsoft Forms, etc.
- Experience with ArcGIS.
- Willingness to travel out-of-state.
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and résumé to Nate Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals are also invited to send a single sample of work.
HW is committed to a work environment that is safe and welcoming and our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.