Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the position will assist in a variety of transportation planning tasks in support of elements of North Country Council’s transportation work program. The Associate Transportation Planner will primarily support the Council’s Transportation Work Program through assisting in the coordination of programs through communications, information gathering, research, report preparation, and written and personal communications. Work will vary with the specific responsibilities of the transportation program in which the Planner is working in.
- Completes various transportation projects resulting in short and long range transportation studies.
- Assist with GIS analysis, transportation project analysis, transportation project prioritization, corridor studies, and planning activities to meet federal requirements.
- Conduct planning studies for roadway, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and freight investments.
- Research, collect, and analyze data.
- Prepare informational materials, presentations, and reports.
- Participate in public outreach and agency coordination activities.
- Prepare for and attend staff and policy board meetings and meetings with staff from local, state, and federal agencies.
- Work directly with municipalities to develop transportation planning projects, project review, cost estimates and submittal.
- Develop and implement reliable technical tools.
- Support various committees, public outreach, and events including developing marketing and educational outreach materials.
- Maintain appropriate records of work in a form that can be readily accessed.
- Correspond with various parties on behalf of North Country Council with respect to work assignments.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in public planning, geography, sociology, economics or other field relevant to duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with geographic information systems – ArcGIS preferred.
- Collaboratively work with staff and clients under direction.
- Keep abreast of new data, sources, methods and techniques.
- Respond to specific inquiries and complete specified tasks within an approved time frame and complete larger projects on time and within the project budget.
- Meet intermediate and final deadlines and ensure products are delivered to other staff in a timely way to permit them to meet their deadlines.
- Familiarity with available sources of demographic, economic, fiscal, social and environmental data.
- Ability to present information to varied audiences in graphic and electronic media and in oral presentations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of transportation planning.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Compensation & Benefits
- $32,000 – $40,000 Salary Range DOQ
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 12 paid holidays
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Disability insurance
This job description is intended to provide general information about the position. It is not an employment contract and is not intended as a complete list of all job roles and responsibilities. The Associate Transportation Planner may be required to perform other roles and responsibilities. As with all positions, the responsibilities, roles, and requirements of this job may change. The organization, at its discretion, may alter this job description at any time with or without notice.
The North Country Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by June 1, 2020 (open until filled). Applications, personal writing sample, resumes and cover letters will only be accepted electronically. To apply send materials to Michelle Moren-Grey, Executive Director at email@example.com – subject line Associate Transportation Planner.