Do you like the idea of working outside in a different location every day across the greater Manchester area? The Southern NH Planning Commission seeks a temporary Data Collection Intern to support transportation planning activities. This position provides an opportunity to work with a collaborative team focused on using technology and data to inform regional and statewide decision-makers. The successful candidate will assist with data collection, report writing, and map creation services.
Commission employees are hardworking, motivated individuals dedicated to providing the highest quality of public service in a friendly, progressive environment. The right individual will have a positive attitude about working for the Commission and representing the SNHPC region. For more information about the Commission, visit www.snhpc.org.
- This position will be primarily tasked with collecting transportation- and traffic-related data in the field and assisting with management of our transportation data collection program. The intern will:
Assist the Data Team with
- collecting traffic field data throughout the region, including traffic counts and infrastructure inventories;
- inventory road, sidewalk, and culvert infrastructure and condition;
- data Quality Assurance/Quality Control;
- maintaining data collection records in both digital and hardcopy formats;
- equipment inventories, maintenance, and supply orders.
- Assist staff with updating transportation planning documents.
- Assist the GIS Planner with maintaining transportation GIS data and various GIS analyses.
- Assist in the preparation of transportation planning reports, protocols, and other documentation.
- Note: early morning hours will be required. Late evening and weekend work hours may be required.
Applicants must, at a minimum, be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program studying planning, transportation data management, GIS, environmental science, or other related fields. Alternatively, applicants may be retired and have worked in similar fields.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications (including Access).
- Ability to safely handle a variety of urban, suburban and rural traffic conditions.
- Team orientation and personal accountability.
While not required, the following skill sets are a plus:
- Experience with field data collection, especially collection of transportation data such as traffic counts, bicycle/pedestrian traffic counts, and culvert assessments.
- Experience using ESRI GIS software in a Windows environment.
- Experience with Arc Collector or other tablet-based field data collection programs.
- Experience with GPS technology.
- Working knowledge of planning and local government processes.
Special requirements for this position include:
- A valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable transportation is required; this position will include significant travel for fieldwork utilizing a company vehicle.
- Data collection work involves working outside, sometimes starting at 6:00am, often in variable weather conditions, and requires the ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
The rate of pay is $17 per hour for 30-37.5 hours per week from approximately mid-April through mid-November. Exact start and end dates will be set to correspond with the selected candidate’s availability.
Please reply with a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Submit materials to: lmoore-o’email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Collection Intern.” Position is open until filled.
Southern NH Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, and nation of origin. The Commission encourages minorities, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged applicants to apply.