The Transportation Planner works under the direction of the City Engineer and/or his/her designee to provide transportation planning, development review, transportation systems, analysis, and coordination of multi-modal transportation initiatives. This individual shall provide analysis, development and implementation of progressive multi-transportation strategies, policies and programs. The ideal candidate will also assist the City Planner and Planning Board with tasks related to neighborhood planning and zoning, plus provide other duties as assigned.
- Work with the City of Malden staff, officials and residents to identify and implement expeditious and low cost actions that will allow Maldonians to travel more safely and easily through Malden and our region. Manage the City’s Complete Streets program, sidewalk improvements, Malden by Bike plan and other relevant City initiatives to increase the safety and use of active and sustainable modes of transportation.
- Work with City officials, residents, businesses and the MBTA’s Better Bus Project to help optimize travel for transit users. Improve access to transit for people with disabilities and eliminate delays for all modes caused by bottle necks along bus routes and near bus stops.
- Help develop the vision and goals of the transportation section of Malden’s Master Plan that is currently in development so as to proactively support sustainable, equitable transportation choices that can support new places to work and live that are less reliant on cars while preserving ease of mobility, quality of life and affordability in Malden’s existing neighborhoods.
- Oversee efforts to assess the age and state of repair of Malden’s traffic signals and to identify signal equipment improvements that increase safety and ease of travels for motorists, bus riders, walkers and bicyclists.
- Provide multimodal transportation planning expertise and technical support to City departments, boards and transportation-related committees. Provide multimodal transportation systems analysis. Review all private development projects to ensure consistency with the City’s transportation policies and goals
- Lead and manage a variety of transportation planning studies and initiatives, including but not limited to neighborhood and corridor studies and plans.
- Develop and manage contracts for consultant services.
- Represent the City on the topic of transportation functions of other City and State agencies, particularly on participation in planning studies; and the planning and implementation of transit and roadway projects.
- Make presentations to City Council, staff, community groups and the general public.
- Work on ongoing Encore Casino mitigation.
- Research, write and compile reports, briefings, correspondence, memorandums, etc.; develop and prepare materials for meetings and presentations.
- Manage projects as assigned by the City Engineer, City Planner, or Malden Redevelopment Authority representative.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Some local travel required plus attendance at regular evening meetings.
This position requires a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, a Bachelor’s Degree in transportation engineering or Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or Environmental Science plus 6 months to 3 years of related work experience in urban transportation planning and development. Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job will also be considered. Must have knowledge of multimodal transportation planning and familiarity with zoning and land use policies and regulations. Familiarity with Community Development Block Grant, Chapter 90, Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), and other state and federal funding programs preferred.
Knowledge and experience with the following concepts, programs, and work is highly preferred: urban planning policy and design sensibilities; civil engineering and landscape architecture; complete streets design guidelines; graphic presentation; economic and sociological aspects of planning and transportation policy; progressive parking policies and practices design; construction and inspection of transportation improvement projects, and specifically municipal projects.
Expertise in the application of personal computers to assemble and manage information required for land use and transportation concepts and models. Ability to exercise independent initiative as well as work well in a team environment. Knowledge of the standard approach to traffic capacity analysis with the typical industry leading software programs. Familiarity and commitment to progressive multi-modal transportation strategies, policies and programs. Knowledge of latest design and engineering guidelines at local, state and federal levels.
Desirable skills and experience include:
Knowledge and use of office equipment such as the personal computer and computer software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), is required. Familiarity with AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch-Up, In-Design, or other design software is a plus. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Engineering in Training Certification desirable.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by February 28, 2020 to Human Resources Director, City of Malden, at email@example.com
Selected candidate will need to submit to a Criminal Offenders Records Information report (CORI), background check and pre-employment drug screening.
POSITION: Transportation Planner
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Department