The City of Bangor Community and Economic Development Department is excited to announce an opening for a Planning Analyst. This new position is a great opportunity for a planning professional to bring their skill set to a community recognized by Business Week as one of America’s 12 pockets of prosperity.
Responsibilities of this position will include:
- Assisting the Planning Officer with the Planning Board including: plan/zoning reviews, analysis and mapping;
- Preparing data and mapping for Comprehensive Planning projects;
- Engagement with citizens, developers, design professionals and consultants regarding design, appropriate land uses, and city policy under established local, state and federal laws, rules and guidelines;
- Collection, compilation and analysis of socio-economic data and statistics for use in technical studies and reports;
- Preparing proposals and written reports utilizing data, incorporating research and analyzing and communicating results;
- Providing support on spatial data management (development, collection and interpretation), creation of maps, spatial analysis and technical support services for city planning activities;
- Utilizing geospatial analysis to provide support on implementing different methodologies and techniques (e.g., suitability analysis) that allow decision-making for planning purposes;
- Collaborating and assisting all Community and Economic Development staff with mapping and analysis projects.
The ideal candidate will have: a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 1 to 3 years’ experience in municipal planning and/or GIS work preferred; knowledge in land use planning; great organization skills; understanding of geographic information systems and cartography; and experience in database design and using data management and analytical tools (e.g., Excel, Access, Python, SQL Server, and GIS mapping software such as ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro).
The ideal candidate will also possess demonstrated strategic and analytical capabilities to retrieve and interpret data; excellent communications skills, graphically, as well as oral and written; skills in building interpersonal relationships; and flexibility working in an office environment.
The pay range for this full-time position is $23.80 to $31.98 per hour and comes with a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, and vision insurance; a retirement plan with employer contribution; and paid time off. Candidates must submit a City application, resume, cover letter, and writing sample by 4:00 pm on Friday, February 14, 2020. Application materials can be emailed to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) or dropped off at the Human Resources Office, Bangor City Hall, 73 Harlow Street, Bangor, Maine 04401. Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Bangor!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER