Salary: $47,932.05 – $52,716.38
Job Type: Union
Date posted: November 7th, 2019
New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below the contractual rate of pay for the period of July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. Wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 30, 2022, new employees shall receive the full contractual rate.
Assists Department staff in performing the full range of professional and para-professional duties necessary to the operation of an urban planning office. Work elements include writing, research, data analysis, customer service, and the use of various types of computer programs including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation, mapping, and graphic design.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the compilation and interpretation of physical, social, and economic data used in the analysis of planning and urban redevelopment problems and in the design of the solutions to these problems.
- Prepares written and graphic reports using computerized word processing, graphic design, presentation, mapping, spreadsheet, database software, and other software devices.
- Prepares concise informational materials for City boards, neighborhood groups and other constituencies on planning and redevelopment matters.
- Performs basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field such as urban studies, urban design, architecture, or engineering with course work in urban planning.
- Knowledge of urban planning principals, including comprehensive planning, neighborhood planning, and zoning.
- Ability to perform research, data collection, and analysis using computer software programs common to urban planning.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials and the general public.
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe In Design, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience or interest in web design, graphic design, and ARC GIS is desirable.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
All applicants must be accompanied by a resume. Only those Applicants who meet all of the above-mentioned qualifications will be eligible for an interview.
Applications may be obtained online, or from the Human Resources Department, Providence City Hall, Room 411, 25 Dorrance Street, Providence RI 02903
Bargaining Unit Members
Official Bid Forms May be submitted via email to Unionjobs@providenceri.gov with the position title in the subject line or to the Human Resources Department no later than: November 21, 2019
Applications May be submitted via email to Unionjobs@providenceri.gov with the position title in the subject line or to the Human Resources Department no later than: November 21, 2019
Department of Human Resources
25 Dorrance Street, Providence, RI 02903
The City of Providence is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
This position will be filled without regard to religion, race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or sexual orientation.