Under the direction of the Senior Planning Information Manager, the Planning Data Analyst will provide data analysis and visualization support to the 60 staff person Community Development Department. The Planning Data Analyst will work across the department to help scope, execute and communicate data related projects. This position recognizes the expanding needs of the Department and will help enhance the role of data analysis in supporting CDD’s mission. Tasks include the collection, analysis, and distribution of a wide range of planning related data encompassing demographic, land use, economic development, housing, transportation and environmental topics.
- Master’s degree in urban planning, urban informatics, public policy, or public administration and a minimum of 3 years’ experience working with data analytics in a planning or other public sector environment is preferred; a combination of bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ directly relevant experience will also be considered.
- Detailed understanding of and experience working with data resources in one or more planning-related topical areas, such as population demographics, labor markets, economic development, transportation, energy use, housing, and land use and development.
- Experience working with diverse data sets from federal, state, and local agencies, including U. S. Census Bureau sources, such as the decennial census, American Community Survey, and the population estimates program.
- Experience creating and maintaining data sets for organizational and public use.
- Understanding of principles of effective data visualization and demonstrated data visualization skills.
- Understanding of basic demographic principles and understanding of recent US population trends.
- Understanding of statistical analysis principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally, graphically, and in writing) with city staff, citizens, contractors, vendors, and City staff.
- Ability to work as part of a diverse and highly technical team and build collaborative relationships within teams.
- Ability to understand and comply with City confidentiality requirements.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethics and professional judgment.
- Demonstrated successful completion of projects in a team environment.
- Expertise in the use of data visualization tools, such as Tableau, PowerBI, Plotly, or R/Shiny.
- Experience with R or Python.
- High level of experience with use of ArcGIS for data analysis and data set development.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience developing and maintaining relational databases with linked tables and queries. Knowledge of Microsoft Access advantageous.
- Experience with SQL.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite products including InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat.
- Experience with spatial analysis tools.
- Experience analyzing Public Use Microdata Samples (PUMS) data advantageous.
RATE: $76,473- $101,530/ year + excellent benefits
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 12/2/19. For a complete job description, please visit our website at www.cambridgema.gov and click on “Apply for a Job”. Position will remain open until filled. We are am AA/EEO Employer.