Are you looking to advance your career and be part of an organization where you can really make a difference? Apply to join the City of Keene in the Community Development department as a full-time Permit Technician! In this role you will play a vital part in the city’s continued growth and development, as this position manages some of the most important functions of the department. Customer service from project start to project finish is key while you handle the screening of construction permit applications for compliance; review and issue minor permits; and provide consultation to the public about codes and code processes. Duties also will include working closely with a variety of customers comprised of employees and the public, as well as outside departments and agencies; working with building and engineering plans, and referring plans for review and approval to the Plans Examiner; answering phone calls and general questions; scheduling inspections; organizing and maintaining files, including archiving.
What We’re Looking For:
The ideal candidate will be organized and detail oriented, with excellent public service skills, and able to multi-task in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions. This position also requires the ability to understand, interpret, and explain regulatory compliance issues; read and interpret legal and property descriptions; ordinance and code documents; technical, and instructional documents; building plans, blueprints, and diagrams.
Minimum requirements are a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as engineering, code enforcement, construction management or related field and one year of experience; or technical education or Associate’s Degree in a relevant discipline and three years’ of related experience; or combined experience in the field of construction, building inspection, plans review or a related field of five years. A relevant certificate issued by the International Code Council (ICC) is desirable at time of hire; within six months must become certified as an ICC Permit Technician.
What’s in it for YOU!?
- This position offers a starting salary of $42,363 annualized, which is Step 1 of the Keene City Employee’s salary schedule. The maximum pay for this position is $52,790 annualized, which is Step 6 of the salary schedule. Employees may reach Step 6 of the salary schedule after successful annual reviews which offer opportunities for pay increases.
- A competitive benefits package is also offered, and includes health, dental, and life insurances, paid time off, retirement plans and more!
- You’ll be provided with opportunities for personal and professional development.
- You’ll work with great colleagues in a supportive work environment. Our employees have interesting backgrounds and come from all walks of life. Our employees are educated in their fields, well rounded, well-traveled, with a variety of interests and skills not related to work. We volunteer and donate in the community.
- Location- Location- Location! The Permit Tech works in City Hall, which is part of Keene’s vibrant downtown area. Here in Keene, you’ll find shopping, restaurants, uniquely preserved landmarks, downtown events and festivals, and two live theaters.
- Geographically situated in the heart of New England, you’ll find easy access to several popular metropolitan areas including Boston, Hartford, Portland, New York, and Montreal.
- Keene has many excellent educational opportunities from pre-school to grad school!
By choosing to work for the City of Keene, you will be committing to an admirable profession in public service in which you can make a positive contribution to our residents, business owners, students, workers and visitors. Each day, you’ll be doing something important and meaningful for the community, and working toward our goal of being the best community in America by 2028!
If you are excited about becoming part of an organization where you’ll look forward to going to work every day, you’re in the right place! Apply today at: https://ci.keene.nh.us/jobs, and upload a cover letter and resume with your application. Applications will be accepted until position is filled, or an adequate pool of candidates is received.
The City of Keene is an Equal Opportunity Employer.