Senior Zoning Manager, City of Cambridge Community Development Department
Reporting to the Director of Zoning and Development, the Senior Zoning Manager will be responsible for overseeing the study and preparation of zoning proposals to advance the land use plans, policies, and objectives of the City. Specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and analyzing zoning ordinances on a range of complex land use and urban development topics. Recent topics have included standards for sustainable development, standards for as-of-right affordable housing development, and regulations to support diverse retail uses. Future zoning projects will be informed by the Envision Cambridge comprehensive plan.
- Delegating work to other Zoning and Development staff as assigned and providing supervision and oversight. The Senior Zoning Manager will be a senior member within the five-person Zoning and Development Division, which also includes the Director of Zoning and Development, one Project Planner, and two Associate Planners.
- Working in multidisciplinary teams, which may include planners specializing in urban design, transportation, environmental sustainability, housing, and economic development, as well as staff in other City departments, to advance zoning policy initiatives.
- Overseeing the review and analysis of amendments to the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance proposed by residents, property owners, City officials, and others, as assigned.
- Preparing written reports and oral presentations for a range of audiences including the City administration, City Council, Planning Board, and community groups.
Engaging with the Cambridge community in the context of topic-specific or location-specific projects, engaging difficult to reach communities, and facilitating dialog and consensus-building among people with diverse interests and opinions.
Providing information and advice on land use and zoning matters to other City staff, residents, business owners, property owners and developers, community groups, City Council, Planning Board, and others as needed or requested.
Participating in the review of major development proposals as assigned.
Additional assignments based on the applicant’s skills and interests and the division’s needs.
- Master’s degree in urban planning, real estate, architecture, or related field is preferred, plus a minimum of five (5) years professional experience in a position involving analysis, interpretation, and development of zoning codes, ordinances, or by-laws or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Good judgement; excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and customer service, and public speaking skills;
- Strong public engagement and consensus-building experience, especially involving stakeholders with diverse interests and opinions.
- Experience in collaborative team-based project work, in both leading and supporting roles;
- Demonstrated ability to balance individual and team responsibility, encourage ideas, and develop leadership in others;
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff, other City employees, and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner;
- High level of motivation and detail-oriented skills;
- Strong, project management, organizational and time management skills;
- Overall computer proficiency including general office applications (Microsoft Office suite) and advanced applications (e.g., Adobe Acrobat);
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities, tasks, and interactions while remaining organized in a fast-paced office environment;
- Flexibility to attend evening meetings on a regular basis; and
- Commitment to working in a community that values diversity.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and ready to help CDD in efforts to conduct high-quality planning and zoning work for the City of Cambridge.
- Experience with land use and zoning laws, codes, and practices specific to Massachusetts;
- Experience working in densely populated urban communities undergoing active redevelopment involving a variety of different land use types, including multifamily housing, large-scale commercial development, and major institutional campuses;
- Knowledge of the Cambridge community; and
- A genuine desire to study challenging and current issues in zoning and urban development, and an ability to develop creative regulatory approaches within the legal framework of zoning.
RATE: $91,988 – $108,513/year + excellent benefits
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 10/15/19. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer. All applicants must be able to provide examples of adopted zoning codes that the candidate played a substantial role in developing.
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide and discuss examples of past work demonstrating their understanding of land use and zoning issues as well as their skills in presenting analysis and recommendations, which may include written materials and/or graphic representations.