The Town of Winchester Planning Department is seeking qualified candidates for a part-time (19 hours/week) Planning professional. The Planning Department is responsible for: implementing the goals and visions for the future development of town, making zoning recommendations to the Planning Board, reviewing private and public development projects, and coordinating Board/Committee project review. Through this work, the staff of the Planning Department provides service directly to the Town’s Planning Board, Historical Commission, Design Review Board, Heritage District Commission, Traffic and Transportation Advisory Committee among other departments, boards and committees.
Job Description: A Planning Consultant, working a maximum of 19 hours/week supports the Town Planner and expands the capacity of the Planning Department to review projects and follow through with Town initiatives. The Planning Consultant’s duties may include:
– Attend one evening meeting a week (2.5 hours per meeting with potential travel time). Evening meetings count towards the maximum of 19 hours/week.
– Provide support to the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Design Review Committee, and the Historical Commission.
– Write grants.
– Provide support for the Town Manager’s Economic Development initiatives.
– Provide support to the Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Board.
– Assist with the implementation of the Master Plan and the Housing Production Plan.
– Review Chapter 40B developments.
– Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or a related field
– One year of experience in municipal planning or a related field
– Working knowledge of applicable laws pertaining to land use in Massachusetts preferred.
– Knowledge of architecture and historic preservation.
– Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
– The ability to interact with the public on a regular basis.
– The anticipated hiring range is $25 to $30 per hour with a maximum of 19 hours/week and is not benefits eligible.
– The contract ends June 30, 2020, with a potential extension or creation of a permanent position.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the office of the Town Planner via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Brian Szekely, Planning Department, 71 Mt. Vernon Street, Winchester, MA 01890 by August 23, 2019 by 10:00am.