MASCO (Medical Academic and Scientific Community Organization) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing Boston’s Longwood Medical Area (LMA) for the benefit of those who live and visit the area by offering services like area planning and development, parking and transportation, a call center, and child care. Visit masco.org to learn more.
MASCO is seeking a General Planner to assist in the organization and implementation of a variety of planning and development efforts related to the enhancement of the LMA.
- Aid in the development and completion of short- and long-range district plans, studies and implementation plans. Areas of focus are broad and may include: “complete streets” planning for pedestrian and cyclist improvements; land use, urban design and zoning studies; utility infrastructure and resiliency planning; sustainability initiatives and transportation planning support.
- As part of a team, serve as the project coordinator for the Longwood urban placemaking program called “Outside”, a six-month per year program on seven sites. Select responsibilities include coordination with contracted ‘ambassadors,’ site owners, and program partners; program operating procedures development; budget monitoring; marketing assistance, metrics evaluation, and new program planning.
- Lead division’s GIS mapping programs including development of area wide maps and update, and training on the use of utilities, asset management and transportation applications.
- Track, research, and report on city, state, and federal regulations that may impact members’ operations in facilities, sustainability, energy, and infrastructure.
- Review member institutions’ master plans and development proposals; provide comments and assistance to institutions as part of the public review process.
- May be called upon to represent MASCO or member institutions with city, regional and state agencies on matters impacting upon program initiatives and seek to influence planning
- Periodically update aerial photography, base maps, and 3-D model working with members and outside
- Develop contracts and expedite revenue collection and disbursement of portions of departmental budget for contracted services in areas of responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning or related field.
- Minimum four years of planning experience. Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of planning, urban design and transportation planning.
- Knowledge of local and state government structures and permitting/approval processes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications, including Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook. Proficiency in GIS and knowledge of CAD, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong proactive organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Exhibit a ‘can-do’ attitude and flexible work style approach. Patience and flexibility to meet demands of a changing environment.
- Ability to handle situations, issues and information with sound judgement, diplomacy and sensitivity.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is competitive based on experience. MASCO offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, a monthly MBTA pass subsidy or free off-site parking, 3 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and a 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer contribution.
Qualified and Interested?
Please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking the button below or pasting the link into your browser.