VHB’s Boston office is seeking a senior-level Environmental Review Manager to join our Urban Permitting Team. There is also an opportunity for this person (based on experience) to lead the Urban Permitting Team.
This dynamic team manages private- and public-sector clients through the MEPA and Article 80 environmental/development impact review process for complex high-profile development projects in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville, as well as across Massachusetts. The candidate will lead multi-disciplinary project teams of real estate developers, architects, engineers, transportation planners, sustainability professionals, and others to assess impacts of various project types. This position provides opportunities for both a broader understanding of all aspects of real estate development and specialization in topics of professional interest and development. Problem solving, collaboration, and team leadership skills will be applied on a daily basis to complete a variety of tasks.
VHB works to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship. Working as part of the Urban Permitting Team provides a career development path, learning opportunities, knowledge sharing, and supporting personal and professional interests and growth.
The best candidates will thrive in a team environment and have a passion for managing high-profile complex projects with challenging timelines. The successful hire will manage projects requiring compliance with various environmental/development impact review-related processes and regulations, including the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), City of Boston Article 80 review, City of Cambridge Article 19 review, and other local, state and federal approvals. Experience with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and Chapter 91 Waterways regulations, wetlands permitting, climate change resiliency policy and compliance, and sustainable/green building design is a plus.
The candidate will also have the opportunity to work closely with the New England Regional Real Estate Team in developing new business both through client relationships and competitive proposals, contract preparation for new work, as well as providing due diligence review and initial permitting strategy services for early development concepts.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Team-oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Experience with presentations before reviewing agencies and community boards
- Project management skills, including invoicing, budget management, and client communication
- BS/BA in Urban Planning, Environmental Planning, Environmental Science, Public Administration or related field (Masters a plus)
- 7+ years of professional environmental planning/consulting experience
- MEPA and/or Article 80 compliance experience
- Experience in Chapter 91, and other environmental regulations
- Experience in business development/proposal writing and preparing contracts
- Experience with public presentations and public hearings
- Relationship with regulators a plus
Please submit applications online.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.