The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC), the regional planning agency for Metro Boston, seeks an Assistant Director of Finance to join its Finance team to assist in overseeing and managing the overall financial functions of the agency. This position reports to the Director of Finance and is an opportunity to work closely with executive management and the MAPC Council to ensure the fiscal stability of the agency. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys demystifying finance and accounting concepts and working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary and mission-driven work environment.
The successful candidate for this role should possess a strong understanding of accounting and financial processes as well as the applicable laws and regulations. The candidate should possess a strong level of creativity and ability to communicate effectively to help maintain consistent financial vision and goals for the agency. The candidate should also possess a high level of understanding and proficiency in using accounting and financial software for grants and contracts management.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in metropolitan Boston. Our mission is to promote smart growth and regional collaboration. We are guided by MetroFuture: Making a Greater Boston Region, our regional policy plan for the region, which was adopted in 2008. We are currently working on a successor regional plan, MetroCommon2050, which we expect to complete by 2020. MAPC’s staff includes approximately 100 full-time employees located in downtown Boston in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office.
MAPC encourages all of our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC’s planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times. We strongly support the professional development of each and every staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region. For more information about MAPC, MetroFuture, and MetroCommon, please visit www.mapc.org.
Examples of Duties
- Work closely with MAPC’s directors and project managers on financial reporting, accounting and other financial activity on a diverse portfolio of federal, state and town contracts as well as foundation grants.
- Assist the Director of Finance in all aspects of leadership of the Finance department, including preparation of the MAPC annual budgets, audits, and providing direction and support to the finance team.
- Provide budgetary control of grant billings, expense analysis, reconciling and monitoring of receivables.
- Oversee and manage the accounts receivable process and provide back-up support for other financial functions when needed.
- Oversee the bi-weekly payroll process and provide back-up to the Payroll and Benefits Administrator.
- Review and post weekly timesheets prior to monthly income statements preparation.
- Perform weekly financial review of contracts and grant agreements prior to execution.
- Perform the monthly bank reconciliations for the operating and payroll bank accounts.
- Assist in MAPC’s fiduciary responsibilities to our sister agency, Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS).
- Assist in the calculation and management of the indirect cost/overhead rate, including preparation of monthly accrual adjustments for overhead expenses.
- Assist in determining and processing monthly revenue recognition of grants and contracts.
- Provide back-up support in all aspects of the accounting department operations in the Director of Finance’s absence.
- Assist in developing and enhancing standard internal procedures and tools.
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with at least five (5) years of progressive management experience in general accounting and working with grants and compliance. Candidate must possess a full understanding of the general accounting process in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience with the budget management of projects and grants.
- Understanding of grant regulations and compliance with applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
- Experience using integrated project management and accounting systems.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative information, and to present complex financial information easily and accurately to both accounting and non-financial staff.
- Demonstrated ability to properly exercise independent judgment and take initiative when necessary, while also being able to receive and respond to direction.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technologies to automate and standardize work processes, while maintaining a high level of confidentiality with financial and personnel information.
- Ability to identify and assess issues and develop solutions in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with strong Excel skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and manage unanticipated work demands beyond the regular office hours when necessary.
The following are preferred:
- Familiarity with Deltek Vision.
- Experience with payroll and employee benefits administration.
- Previous experience with system conversions and implementation.
- Familiarity with Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) reporting requirements.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $75,000-$90,000, depending on qualifications. Excellent state employee benefits package.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.mapc.org. The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references.
Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. A Criminal Offenders Records Information (CORI) request must be completed if offered this position. However, a criminal record is not an automatic bar to employment but will be reviewed in relation to the job applied for.
MAPC is an EOE/ AA employer. MAPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.