AICP CM Opportunities
Looking for CM Opportunities? 3 Quick Strategies
- Go to APA National for a calendar of approved CM activities: http://www.planning.org/cm/search/
- See the APA-MA Calendar of Events for upcoming events that offer CM credit: http://www.apa-ma.org/events/events-calendar
- Browse the CM opportunities below.
Conferences, Workshops & Seminars CM|Varies
The APA-MA Chapter website is the central location to learn about AICP CM opportunities for APA-MA members. Events that offer several CM credits include annual conferences such as:
- Southern New England APA (SNEAPA) Conference which is typically held in the Fall.
- Massachusetts Association of Planning Directors (MAPD) Conference typically held in June.
- Citizen Planner Training Collaborative (CPTC) Conference which is held in Worcester in March.
- Massachusetts Housing Institute which is typically held in June.
- Northern New England Chapter APA (NNECAPA) Conference held in the Fall.
- APA-MA Audio/Web Conferences held throughout the state.
- DHCD and Mass. Downtown Initiative workshops held across different regions.
- Luncheon events organized by MAPD.
The APA-MA Chapter will continue update its Events Calendar to reflect when such conferences, workshops and seminars offering CM credit are occurring.
APA Online Planning Courses CM|Varies
Looking for accessible, convenient, and affordable online planning education? The American Planning Association now offers a series of online courses on the latest topics in planning, hosted by our learning partner Captus Press.
Each course contains interactive multimedia presentations and downloadable PowerPoints. Progress quizzes to consolidate your learning and a discussion group where you can interact freely with other planning professionals is available for each course. For more information, see: http://professional.captus.com/Planning/default.aspx
Free APA Events Offering CM Credit
The American Planning Association provides several opportunities for AICP members to obtain Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for free through distance education products. These opportunities, links to more information, and CM credits available are listed below. APA will add free distance education opportunities as they come online, so please check this page frequently for the most current information.
- 2011 AICP Symposium: Cities in Transition: Today’s Realities and the Next Economy CM | 2.5
- Tuesdays at APA: Lectures and Podcasts CM | 1.0 per live lecture or recording
- Social Media for Planners CM | 1.0
- 2009 AICP Symposium: Planning for Sustainable Communities: It’s More Than Being Green CM | 2.5
- Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments CM | 6.0 (see below)
- Centennial Symposium: 1909–2109: Sustaining the Lasting Value of American Planning CM | 4.0
For more detailed information, see: http://www.planning.org/cm/free/index.htm
Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments CM|6.0
Through examples and activities, this “how-to” guide explains the value of Health Impact Assessments and outlines the steps involved in conducting one. The course was developed by the American Planning Association and the National Association of County & City Health Officials, and is available free through a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through December 31, 2012. For more information, see: http://professional.captus.com/Planning/hia/default.aspx
APA Training on CD via State Library System CM|Varies
Thanks to the efforts of the Mass APA Chapter Board and Dan Fortier, AICP of the Town of Dennis, the APA-MA chapter acquired training from the APA on CD to assist in the meeting Certification Maintenance (CM) continuing education credit requirements. They are being made available for lending on a state-wide basis through the Massachusetts Virtual Library System. At this time, the Dennis Library has 18 training sessions on CD entered into the Cape and Islands Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) system and they are now linked to the Massachusetts Library Site. The following training sessions on CD are in the state system and are available to be checked out:
- Design Guidelines for Small Towns and Rural Communities
- Improving the Development Review Process
- Planning Ethics for Planning Commissioners (not CM)
- Effective Community Parking Standards
- Development Finance and Pro Formas
- Economic Development for Small Towns
- Updating the Zoning Ordinance
- Planning for a Low Energy Future
- Green Community Planning
- Design Standards that shape urban form
- Infrastructure planning
- Mechanics of Code Writing
- Project Management
- Inclusionary Housing
- Smart Growth Street Design
- Mastering Density
- LEED for Neighborhood Development
- Complete Streets
The Dennis Librarian, Jessica Langlois, advises the following approach to accessing these CDs:
- If you live in the are served by the Cape Library Automated Materials Sharing you can go to your library or computer and request it from interlibrary loan. If you are outside the CLAMS system, Ms. Lanlois suggests you go to your own library’s reference librarian and ask him/her to request it through the statewide Virtual Catalog.
Anyone using the CD’s that are in the Dennis Library for CM credit must also fill out and submit an evaluation form. See: http://survey.planning.org/cdeval1.htm
The APA-MA chapter will consider additional acquisitions during 2010. If you have any special requests please send them to Carolyn Britt, the Chapter PDO, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Conference Sessions CM|Varies
Virtual Conference Sessions (formerly Digital Capture) are a new way to experience sessions from the APA’s National Planning Conferences and earn Certification Maintenance (CM) credits. In Virtual Conference Sessions, PowerPoint presentations are synced with audio from National Planning Conference sessions for viewing online. Whether you missed a National Planning Conference session or want to share one with co-workers, combined PowerPoint slides and audio recordings of the presentations are available for $40 each or from $695-$995 for all sessions.
For more information, see: