The City of Providence Department of Planning and Development is hiring for an entry level Planning Technician position. Applications will be accepted until March 3, 2016.
Summary: Assists Department staff in performing the full range of professional and para-professional duties necessary to the operation of an urban planning office. Work elements include writing, research, data analysis, customer service, and the use of various types of computer programs including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation, mapping, and graphic design.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in the compilation and interpretation of physical, social, and economic data used in the analysis of planning and urban redevelopment problems and in the design of the solutions to these problems.
2. Prepares written and graphic reports using computerized word processing, graphic design, presentation, mapping, spreadsheet, database software, and other software devices.
3. Prepares concise informational materials for City boards, neighborhood groups and other constituencies on planning and redevelopment matters.
4. Performs basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field such as urban studies, urban design, architecture, or engineering with course work in urban planning.
2. Knowledge of urban planning principals, including comprehensive planning, neighborhood planning, and zoning.
3. Ability to perform research, data collection, and analysis using computer software programs common to urban planning.
4. Ability to communicate effectively and courteously.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials and the general public.
6. Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe In Design, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience or interest in web design, graphic design, and ARC GIS is desirable.
7. Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Salary: $45,734.51* – $50,299.49
*New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below this salary until June 29, 2018. Until June 29, 2018, wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 29, 2018 new employees shall receive the full contractual rate.
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume and cover letter which clearly identifies the position. Place “Planning Tech Position” in subject line of your email and send electronic submissions to Martina Haggerty, Associate Director of Special Projects, via email at email@example.com. All resumes and cover letters must be accompanied by a salary history and application. Applications are available on the City’s website at: http://www.providenceri.com/efile/323
The City of Providence is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position will be filled without regard to religion, race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Filed under: Jobs
© 2017 APA – Massachusetts Chapter